one // beginning

This book includes things that could be triggering for some people
( Mental health, self-harm, suicide, etc ).
Please read with caution.

"Mommy?" A young Hwayoung asked, her eyes never leaving the small, frail baby she cradled in her arms. Her mother answered with a soft, "Hm?", her eyes never looking away from Hwayoung's smooth, black hair. Hwayoung and her mother did this every night before Hwayoung went to sleep.

It was important to Hwayoung that they did this every night. She rarely ever got to see her mother during the day because of work and she almost always came home late at night. The young girl used this time to tell her mother about everything that happened during her day. Most of the time, she told her what game she and her dolls played or what she had for lunch.

However, for the past few months, her mother hadn't been able to brush her hair at night or at all. The baby in her womb had grown so big, it had become difficult for her to reach her daughter's hair with the brush. During that time, Hwayoung tried to brush her own hair at night and tell her dolls about her day but it was never the same so when she heard that her baby sister, Hyunae, was ready to come out, she was thrilled. Learning that she got to hold the new-born every time her mother brushed her hair left a young Hwayoung beyond thrilled.

Even now, a few weeks later, Hwayoung is still happy to hold her sister. She figured her sister liked her best because she never threw up on her but always threw up on someone else.

Hwayoung used her index finger to gently poke at her sister's nose before asking, "Why did you and Daddy have another baby?"

Her mother stopped combing through her daughter's hair for a second, thinking of a reply. "Well for starters, we did not want you to be lonely-"

"But I'm not lonely at all!" Hwayoung interrupted, "I have you and Daddy and all my dollies!"

"Hwayoung! Do not interrupt others while they are speaking!"

"I'm sorry, Mommy..." the small girl said quietly, holding her sister a little closer to her chest. Her mother simply sighed before continuing on with her sentence.

"As I was saying, your father and I did not want you to be lonely. You may have your dolls now but what about when you are older? You will want to play and talk with a real person eventually and a younger sister is perfect for that. Luckily for you, the age gap between you two is small so you will be able to relate to each other more often. Does not that sound nice, Hwayoung?"

Hwayoung simply nodded her head in response for she was too busy fantasizing her and her sister playing together. Once she was old enough, Hwayoung decided her sister would be the person she practiced her makeup skills on.

A few moments of silence passed by before Hwayoung's mother started, "There was another reason as well... Your father and I won't be here with you forever, Hwayoung an-"

Once again, she was cut off by her daughter.

"But you can't do that! I'll be all alone and I'll be sad!" Hwayoung exclaimed as she tried to turn her head in order to face her mother but ultimately failed resulting in a small "Hmpf."

Instead of scolding her daughter once more, the woman sadly sighed and shook her head slightly. "I'm afraid we have no choice... But that is why we wanted to give you a sister. Once we are gone, you will not be alone. You will have your sister with you." With this, she stopped brushing her daughter's hair, stood up, and knelt before her.

The young Hwayoung let her mother's words process in her head for a few seconds before saying, "Promise me you'll stay here with me and Hyunae as long as you can!"