blood in the cut

Much to Adelaide's dismay, her mother forced her to look presentable and go to town on Saturday morning. All that she wanted to do was mope in bed and shut everyone out. If she was being honest, it would have been perfectly fine with her if she never got out of bed again.

After fifteen minutes of complaining and griping, she dragged herself out of the warm, comfortable bed. The floors were cold, her mother was making breakfast too loudly, even the sun shining into the windows was much too bright. It was as if her senses were heightened.

Yawning, Adelaide stepped into the dress she had picked to wear that day: a nice yellow one that she rarely wore because it was easily stained. After she struggled to lace it up, she ran her fingers through her messy hair and trotted down the stairs.

"Come, sit. I made your favorite; toast with apple jam." Alice spoke to her daughter. She had barely noticed how depressed her daughter had become. But, in return, Adelaide hadn't noticed how many more of the little white pills Alice had recently started taking.

"I'm not hungry, I'll eat when I come back from town." Adelaide yawned once again. Alice furrowed her eyebrows.

"Are you sure? It might take a while if the snow is deep." She questioned. Adelaide muttered something that her mother couldn't catch and finished tying up her boots. She sent a small wave to Alice before going out the front door of the house.

Adelaide knew that it was going to be an awful journey to town, especially since the wind that day was harsh. Her boots barely held any warmth, but she couldn't complain; at least she owned boots.

Stop being selfish.

Adelaide told herself. There were people out in the world that were starving and lacked shelter, and here she stood outside of a nice house, complaining about her boots.

Shaking her head at how childlike she was acting, Adelaide sighed and forced her cold feet to move. She cursed herself the entire way there, her stomach growling and hands shaking. She was too stubborn for her own good.

The cold months of winter were lasting much too long for her liking, and she wished that spring would soon come. Adelaide adored the fresh smell of rain and flowers starting to bloom. It was calming, like something out of a novel. Nothing could compare to the dewy atmosphere and warm sun on her face.

Before she realized it, she has arrived in the small downtown of Avonlea. Early birds bustled about, some going into the snow covered stores. Adelaide tried to remember what her mother had told her to buy. She vaguely remembered something about bread.

Peering around for another second, Adelaide stomped off towards the towns baker, Mr. Kallen, store. His shop had been there for as long as she could remember, and his smiling face could always be seen through the window. Cringing at the loud bells that rang when she entered, Adelaide waves towards Mr. Kallen and his wife.

"Hello, Adelaide! We haven't seen you in ages." The elderly man spoke. She smiled at him and went back to looking at their selection of baked goods.

"Well, I've been pretty busy with school and all." Adelaide told the two. They nodded understandingly and placed their hands in each other's. Adelaide smiled longingly; it made her wish of something of the sort with Gilbert. Nothing could stop the way her heart warmed up when she thought of him.