How could you?

"You're gone for several hours even after you'd be done with work for the day!" My mom screamed from downstairs. I hopped off of the couch and turned up the volume to the tv.

"Where are you going Chloe?" Nathaniel asked as he moved his head to see whatever was on Disney Channel.

"I'm just going to work on my homework. Watch Abigail for me, Okay?" Nathaniel smiled and hugged Abby as she sucked on her binky.

"I will." I nodded and smiled. I walked out of the game room and closed the door slowly. I stopped at the staircase. It's only been a month since we've moved here and my parents have been fighting a lot the past week.

"I'm trying to make a living to feed this family." My dad barked.

"James, I work too I don't think you need to stay so long afterwards. Sometimes I don't even think you're working all that extra time." My mom mumbled the last part.

"Well what do you think I'm doing?" My dad raised his voice. Not wanting to hear anymore of their argument, I walked into my room and closed the door. I sat on the bed and put my ear buds in, turning on Britt Nicole as loud as it could go. I pulled out my binder and checked through all of my folders, making sure I didn't have any homework over the weekend. The notes paper for evolution that I never did fell out and I remembered that I had a test on it the next day. I looked over the notes and sighed. I was going to be tested on this when it wasn't even true. I crumpled up the paper and tossed it into my trash can next to my vanity. I laid back on my pillow and looked at my ceiling, remembering my first day of school in science class. I walked over to my light and turned it off, then laid back down in my bed and turned on my fairy lights. I fell asleep once my music turned off.

"BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP" My alarm sounded. I groaned and lifted my hand up to slap the off button. I pushed my covers off and tiredly walked over to my closet to pick out an outfit. I walked downstairs and my mom was fast asleep on the couch. I set my backpack down and ran upstairs into the game room. The tv was still on and Nathaniel and Abigail were asleep on the couch.

I sat down next to Nathaniel and shook him softly to wake him.

"Chloe." He woke up and hugged me.

"Did mom never tuck you into bed?" I question picking Abigail up.

"No, her and daddy were fighting like all night and then we just fell asleep here."

"Well it's time to get ready for school, Okay?" I ruffled his dark brown hair and he smiled softly and nodded.

I carried Abigail downstairs and shook my mom softly to wake her up.

She sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Good morning baby." She squinted her eyes to check the time and then sprung up. "Shoot. I forgot to tuck the little ones in last night and I didn't make breakfast. You'll have to get some cereal." She hugged me and took Abigail.

"Mom, why were you on the couch and where's dad?" She froze halfway to the stairs and turned around to look at me with a sigh.

"Your dad and I... We had an argument last night. I told him to leave." she sighed. "He'll come back later today. He went to stay at a friend's house, and I just ended up falling asleep on the couch."

"Mom, nothing is going to happen between you and dad." I rubbed my arm nervously. "Right?"

"Of course not baby." my mom took a step closer to me and held my hand with her free one. "We love each other a lot, it's just a disagreement." she let go of my hand and rubbed her eyes. "We're both stressed with work and everything. Now eat some breakfast and don't be late for your bus." I nodded and watched her go up the stairs to put Abigail in her bed.