ch1: Origin Story

{ published: 27th december 2017. }

☠️ ☠️ ☠️

Poisoned Paradise
ch1: Origin Story

When my Quirk activated, it nearly put my classmates in hospital, but apparently our teacher was lucky enough to have a preventative item on standby. I sulked in the corner, pout hidden underneath a borrowed scarf as he phoned up my parents.

"It's Yoshida-sensei," he told them, "Saki's got her Quirk. Congratulations, it's Toxic."

As if it'd be anything else. My pasty complexion and acid-green hair were huge red flags that, nope, I wouldn't get Erasure like dad. Nonetheless, I'd refused the possibility of inheriting something that seemed so scary and quit any precautions as soon as my parents were out of sight... Hence the accident.

Needless to say, I was grounded as soon as I got home.

"We'd understand if it was a mistake," mom stressed, "We'd understand if something leaked, but you took off your mask and coughed miasma."

She made it sound like I'd done it intentionally. When I argued otherwise, she realised I hadn't been wearing it to begin with and I got punished with an early bedtime too. I learned to keep my mouth shut after that.

But could you blame me for rebelling? What sort of (almost-)four-year-old wanted to be the freak who wore a gas mask to kindergarten?

A few months down the line, when morals and mortality finally clicked, I understood that my mom's reaction was perfectly reasonable. My epiphany may or may not have been influenced by my newfound ability to sneeze black goo. In any case, I recognised that I'd been a brat and apologised to my teacher again for endangering the lives of him and my classmates. Genuinely apologised; not pretending like I had been the morning after The Cough. If he was wondering why I was asking for repentance a second time, he didn't make his questions vocal. Instead he patted my head and warned me to be more careful next time. Considering I was forced to constantly wear that damn gas mask ever since my Quirk manifested, it was a pointless reminder.

Still, an accepted apology was weight off my shoulders. The only reason I'm still thinking about it is because he was recently arrested for negligence.

That was disturbingly unsurprising. Looking back, before the incident, Yoshida hadn't cared whether or not I wore my mask even though I clearly owned it for a reason. In fact, I'm certain my parents had outright told him it was to prevent everyone in the classroom from being affected if/when I got a Toxic Quirk.

But he didn't do anything. It was obvious he didn't give a damn about anyone's safety but his own. He hadn't harmed any kids directly, but who's to say what would have happened if he hadn't been there when I started coughing up fumes?

Not all bad guys have secret lairs and plan to take over the world; some are much more close to home. The average person walks past 11 murderers in their lifetime. How many more everyday Villains, like pickpockets and fraudsters? Too many. That's why I became a Hero.

☠️ ☠️ ☠️

WORD COUNT: 508.

A/N: so as of 2017, i've been on fanfiction.net for six years. yeah, i can't believe it either. to celebrate, i thought i'd post this thing i started (and stopped) working on during nanowrimo! saki is a fun oc to write from the perspective of, so hopefully my muse will stick around long enough for me to finish this story at some point lolol.

love,
- crystalcanon.

PS. her dad is not aizawa, but their quirks are sorta similar.

{ original chapter: 27th december 2017.
minor edits: 2nd march 2018. }