єlєvєn

Everyone was frozen.

Amara looked into the light and blinked harshly once it dimmed down into nothing. Everyone seemed to come back and they all hurried inside.

"Hello?" Rick's wavering voice echoed throughout the building.

"Hello?"

"Close those doors." It was a new voice. Amara surveyed the area, but couldn't find the source. She held her katana by her side threateningly.

The click of a gun made everyone turn and there stood a man, holding a rifle towards them. "Anybody infected?" He sounded scared.

Rick cleared his throat. "One of our group was. He didn't make it."

The man a step forward. "Why are you here? What do you want?"

"A chance." Rick breathed.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." He continued to walk closer.

Rick nodded his head. "I know."

It was silent for a moment as the man seemed to determine his next move.

"You all submit to a blood test, that's the price of admission." Amara felt relief wash over her, and she let out a deep exhale.

"We can do that."

~

They followed Dr. Jenner into a large room that was filled with computers. He called it Zone Five. She noticed that it was in fact, completely empty.

"Where is everybody?" She asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"It's just me here." Jenner replied, shrugging.

"What about the person you were speaking with?" Lori piped up.

Jenner seemed to smile a bit. "Vi, say hello to our guest. Tell them, welcome."

Then, a controlled voice hummed around them. "Hello guest. Welcome."

Amara narrowed her eyes, realizing it was not an actual human, but an AI. "I'm all that's left. I'm sorry."

She glanced over at Rick, who was crestfallen with his gaze glued to the floor.

"Follow me." Jenner said, before turning and walking into a room. The group followed.

"Please, sit." He motioned Amara to a nearby seat and which he sat across from her, needle and tube already in hand.

The group dispersed behind her and she swallowed as he reached for her arm. "Don't like needles?"

Amara clenched her jaw and turned up her arm, immediately looking away as he came closer with the needle.

She grit her teeth as it pricked her skin, and he taped it down, letting her know this was going to take longer than she wanted.

It was only going on for a couple of minutes, maybe less, but she felt her head dip back slightly and her eyes wanting to flutter shut.

Amara noticed Jackie come up next to her, putting a supporting hand on her arm and the needle was suddenly vacant from her body.

"Are you okay?" Jenner asked, slightly worried as she struggled to stand straight.

Jackie answered for her. "She hasn't eaten in days. None of us have."