Megan Stewart

My sister, Rachel, has always been such a great example to me. She is so compassionate and affectionate; I try to follow her example. I just wish life was easier than it is right now.

Our parents are hardly ever home. They work too much. Rachel basically raised me even though she's only three years older than me. I'm not complaining about all the freedom we have, but we do tend to get into more trouble than the other kids at school.

I am a sophomore at Cleveland High School. I have never liked school, but Rachel must have because she worked so hard to get into college. She graduated from Cleveland High two years before the other people her age and graduated with her associate's degree. Because of all of the hard work she puts into school, she got a full-ride scholarship to the University of Kentucky. She had to move to the campus and left me alone at our small house in Cleveland, Ohio.

She excelled a the university and graduated with her Bachelor's degree in nursing just a few months ago, in February. Now she is finally back home, or at least was back home. Right now we are on the run from the man who robbed our house and tried to kill us. This all happened the week after Rachel got home.

We were sleeping on the family room floor because our parents were on a business trip. We were awakened by a loud sound. We both jumped up at the same time and looked around the room. Rachel, being braver than I, yelled out, "Who's there?!"

All of a sudden a man stepped into the moonlight coming from the window and told us not to make a sound. Rachel leaned over to me and whispered, "Run down to the train station and get two tickets to Denver, Colorado. Wait for me at the boarding platform. I'll be right behind you."

I ran out the door and all the way to the train station without looking back. It took me 12 minutes to get to the station. I walked up to the ticket building and bought two tickets to Denver, just like Rachel told me to. Rachel came running towards me at the boarding platform and I handed her the tickets.

We stepped onto the train and sat down on a bench near the back. When Rachel sat down, I noticed that she was carrying a bag. She noticed I was looking at the bag and said, "Apples, cookies, water bottles, money, and bread."

I smiled and nodded my head as I turned toward the window. The train had just taken off and I noticed that it had started pouring rain. I looked back at Rachel and she was running her fingers through messy, long, black hair.

I saw a tall, thin boy walking towards the back of the train. He noticed me looking at him and his deep, blue eyes brightened as he smiled at me. He continued walking back to where Rachel and I were sitting. He sat down and said something in Spanish that I couldn't understand. He realized I didn't understand and said, "Hi, my name is Mateo Rivera."

We talked with Mateo during the entire train ride and learned that he was on the run as well. Rachel invited him to stick with us so we could have an extra pair of eyes.

That was all about 2 months ago. Now, the three of us are in Denver. Of all other places, could Rachel not have chosen somewhere more rural and open? At least we are far from home and safe from that man.

It's raining heavily outside so we entered a department store to find shelter. Rachel is pacing around the shoe area, trying to think of some place to stay permanently. Mateo went out to get some fresh air and a bit more food. I want to make a fun time out of being here so I'm looking at the fancy dresses. I grab a silky, red dress and bring it into the dressing room to try it on.

Once I get the dress tied in the back, I exit my dressing stall and walk towards the mirror at the back of the dressing room. My long, white hair drapes over my shoulders so you can't tell that the dress is strapless. I notice how well the dress fits my thin figure. I spin around and accidentally bump into somebody. "Oof!"