introduce yourselves

The living room of the house on Soldier Island. It is a very modern room, and luxuriously furnished, It is a bright sunlight evening. Nearly the whole of the back of the wall is a window looking directly out to sea. French doors are open in the center to the balcony. It should give the impression of being like the deck of a liner almost overhanging the sea. There is a chair out right on the balcony and the main approach to the house is steps on the left side of the balcony. There is also steps on the right side of the balcony, but these are not the direct way up from the livingroom, but are supposed to lead around the house and up behind it, since the house is built against the side of a steep hill. The French doors are wide so that a good area of the balcony is shown. In the left, near windows, is a door to the dining room. Downstairs to the left is a door communicating with hall. Pull cord below this door. Up stairs is a door to the study. Middle of the room is a fireplace. Over it hangs the reproduction of the "Ten Little Soldier Boys" nursery ryhme. On the mantelpiece is a group of ten China soldier boy figures. They are not spaced out, but clustered so that the exact number is not easily seen. The room is barely furnished with modern furniture, in the center of the living room are two sofas with space between. Chair and small table up left. Club chairs with tabouret right and about it, down left, where there is also a bookcase. There is a window seat up right and a cocktail cabinet below the mantelpiece, tabouret down right. Before the fireplace is a big white bearskin rug with a bear's head. There is an armchair and tabouret right in the center. A square ottoman at the lower end of the fireplace, a settee with a table left of it in front of the window right at the back.

Rogers is busy putting final touches to the rooms. He is setting out bottles down for everyone. Rogers is a competent 34 year old manservent. Not a butler, but a house-parlor man. He quick and kinda deft. Just a trifle specious and shifty. There are nosies of seagulls. A motorboat horn hear off, Mrs. Rogers enters from the dining room. She is thin, worried, frightened-looking woman. Narracott enters from the front door. He is carrying a market basket filled with packages.

Narracott: First lot to be arriving at Jim's boat. Another lot not far behind

He then crosses over to Mrs. Rogers

Mrs.Roger: Good evening, Fred

Narracott: Good evening, Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. Rogers: Is that the boat?

Narracott: Yes

Mrs: Rogers: Oh, dear, already? Have you remembered everything?!

He gives her a basket full of everything she needs

Narracott: I think so. Lemons, slipsoles, cream, eggs, tomatoes and butter. That's all wasn't it?

Mrs. Rogers: That's right. So much to do I dont know where to start. No maids till the morning, and all theses guests arriving today!!

Mr. Rogers is cleaning the mantelpiece after hearing Mrs. Rogers say all that he shot her a look

Mr. Rogers Calm down, Ethel, everything's shipshape now. Looks nice, dont it Fred?

Narracott: Looks neat enough for me. Kind of bare, but rich folks like places bare, it seems

Mrs. Rogers: Rich folks is queer

Narracott: And he was a queer sort of gentleman as built this place. Spent a wicked lot of money on it he did, and then gets tired of it and puts the whole thing up for sale!