Rules

Here's this little update until I finish and post Red is the Coldest Color. I am super excited for that certain one shot. I've been working on it for a while and I really want it to be one of my best, so I want to take as much time as needed on it. In the meantime, enjoy! 

Comments are appreciated, votes are love, and follows are amazing!

Much love,

-Noah

Zane always had rules when it came to his nights with Phoenix.

1. No talking.

2. No contacting each other.

3. No saying each other's names.

4. No meeting on days other than Mondays and Fridays.

5. No kissing.

6. No staying afterwards. 

He was good at obeying the rules. Phoenix was, too. They had never broken a single rule once, even in their 2 months of meetings.

Which is why Zane is so ticked off about this.

"What the heck do you mean you're sick?"

Zane heard Phoenix sigh on the other line. "Yeah. I'm sorry. I had my nephew over last week and apparently he was sick. My sister failed to inform me."

Zane groaned for two reasons. One, it was Friday and Phoenix was sick. Two, they were breaking Rule 1 and Rule 2 by talking and contacting each other. And three, Zane never realized how high and feminine Phoenix's voice was and just how much he liked it, even though it was a bit raspy because of how sick he was.

"Come on, Phoenix, it's Friday. I've had a crap week and I really just need some release."

Rule 3 broken. He said his name.

Phoenix took a deep breath. "I can't very well come over. I'm sick. Unless you want me getting you sick and sneezing and coughing while we're going at it, there's nothing I can do."

Zane ran a hand through his hair. "Fine. Get better soon. I mean it."

He ended the call before Phoenix could answer and he threw his phone onto his bed. He rubbed his temples. Now what?

~~

Phoenix rolled his eyes as Zane hung up.

"Dang hormonal guy."

He set his phone on the coffee table and wrapped his blanket tighter around him. He leaned back on the couch cushions and shut his eyes. In minutes, he was asleep.

The next morning he woke up to bright light streaming through the open curtains and loud banging against his front door. He groaned and buried his head into the cushions, willing the knocking to cease. It didn't.

"Phoenix!"

He lifted his head up and stared at the door. Is that...?

"Open the door! It's Zane."

Yup. It was. Phoenix groaned and sat up.

"What?" he yelled, causing the beginnings of a headache to blossom behind his eyes.

"Just open the door," Zane said, quieter this time.

Phoenix grabbed his phone and checked the time. 1 pm. He groaned again, louder this time, but he got up. He trudged to the door, his blanket trailing behind him. He thrust the door open.

Zane was standing there, moving from foot to foot. He held thermos in his left hand.

"Uh, hi," he said, suddenly nervous.