sweeter than sugar pt. 1

Anyone who knew them, knew of them, could tell you that they made a disgustingly cute couple. Both boys, Steve Harrington and Jonathan Byers, were head over heels in love with each other, and everyone important to their lives had caught the duo in their moments of tooth-rotting sweetness. It was common knowledge that, should you walk in on the boys unannounced, they’d be in some form of cuddling, snuggling or general acts of coupling.

#1 Nancy Wheeler

Jonathan and Steve were begrudgingly following an ecstatic Nancy Wheeler as she danced from aisle to aisle, filling her arms with odd articles of clothing to try on.

Nancy had dragged the boys with her to go Christmas shopping. She will never admit it, however, she had done this as a strategic move. As much as she wanted their help in deciding on her gifts, she also wanted to make sure the boys were sure of theirs and, more importantly, picking the right thing for the right person.

Steve, when left on his own, would aim for gifts which were indescribably dorky and goofy. By her own experience, Steve had gotten her a set of beanies. Two were miniature and labelled ‘ear hats’, and the rest weren’t head sized and labelled ‘beer hat’. The damn idiot.

Jonathan, on the other hand, was able to choose nice gifts, however, his choice of wrapping paper and cards made Nancy want to cry. An odd year or so ago, her younger brother Mike had come home with a Dungeons and Dragons’ display figurine from Jonathan. However, much to his disdain, it was wrapped in some collision of fluorescent pink and green with bright red letterings of ‘Merry Christmas’. It wasn’t well wrapped either. To make matters worse, Jonathan had given Mike a birthday card, tackily corrected to ‘Happy Birthday Jesus’ instead.

Yeah, they couldn’t be left alone.

At some point through the shopping trip, Steve had snagged Jonathan’s wrist and yelled at Nancy to ‘Keep going, Nance! We’ll be in the men’s section, Jonny boy is getting an upgrade.” The two had weaved and twisted their way through the plethora of colours to end up in front of the change rooms. Somehow, Steve had snagged a few sweaters on the way, one a rich navy with red accents, another a milky white with cable knit and a few other odd pieces.

Steve shoved the clothing into Jonathan’s arms and nudges him into a change room, demanding he “Do a twirl and show me what it looks like.”

Nancy finds them an hour later, seated together on one of those sofas for bored boyfriends and husbands outside of the change room. They are essentially cuddled together, giving absolutely no fucks about any public response to their actions. Steve had an arm curled around Jonathan’s waist while Jonathan seemed to doze lightly on Steve’s shoulder.

Jonathan was wearing something different, a muted green bomber jacket that was most definitely on Steve an hour earlier. It fitted loosely on him, Nancy notices, the sleeves bunching at his wrists.

“Find anything that looks good on him?” she looks at Steve, tilting her head towards Jonathan’s apparently asleep form.

“Yes but he got distracted when he stupidly handed me his jacket and I stupidly put it on without question,” is the soft and grumbled reply she gets from Jonathan.

Steve just sits beside him blushing as Jonathan continued, eyes now open and peering mirthfully at Nancy.

“He was all flustered and stumbling over his words, saying things like ‘I.. I didn’t think you’d actually wear my clothes.’ And want not,” Jonathan chuckles.

Nancy doesn’t realise it till they have gotten up and gathered their shopping bags, with them offering to take hers as well. She doesn’t see it till Steve tucked a hand in Jonathan’s pocket. She doesn’t hear it till Jonathan grumbles quietly but lets Steve drag his form closer, hips basically bumping

They’re amazing together.

Grossly filled with sugar and sweet things as well, but – perfect.