Shock

“Can I go to that time,” I enquired, touching the clear glass.

It rippled under my hand setting up silvery waves.

“Yeah you can go across but I don’t know yet if any human can handle the force field. There’s too much energy packed into it,” he turned a knob. The picture changed.

“This changes the time, I guess,” I pointed to the knob.

Turning my attention to the mirror again I saw a grassy field.

“This building is new, it wasn’t there 20 years ago,” he said.

“I am not there because I wasn’t even born then?”

“Absolutely.”

I held the knob and asked, “Future?”

“The future, Pam, is uncertain. It changes and moulds itself. This makes future beautiful. Never meddle with future,” he said grimly.

“Just seeing tomorrow won’t hurt,” I protested, “What difference can a day make?”

He was going to say something more but the adamant me scrolled the time to 29/12/17.

The picture hazed over and then reformed to the same room. Just with me missing. My heart skipped a beat.

“What does this mean? Tomorrow I won’t be in your lab, isn’t it,” I asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

He was looking at me horrified, tears shining in the corners of his eyes.

An unknown fear gripped me as he averted his eyes. I suddenly knew the answer.

“Tomorrow I won’t be in this world. Why? How? I can’t die, not today,” tears streamed down my cheeks.

“I warned you,” his voice was thick.

I wanted to know the reason, to change future. I won’t give in without a fight. Without caring for consequences, I jumped into the mirror.

A/N That's my 500. Hope you all like it. This is a flash fiction for #justwriteday  contest. This is different from what I write generally.

This story is dedicated to my good friends and my advisors. MaryFahey teamhathaway wattpawormss Pipigrin morema_m joharateregeyo JWilliamsx98 nana_gn KashishBelikov. Thanks justwriteit for giving me the opportunity to write this story.