Part 1

I looked at the recruiter, his creepy, greasy smile plastered on his face. He was wearing glasses that were small on his large face. He was slightly overweight. He had a tried to recruit me at a bar, it only got me into his office because I was already planning to enlist. The bar had been my favorite since I had turned twenty-one two years ago. The bar was named 'Naipeu' after the sound of the Korean word for knife. The bar was small and served some American and Korean food that I enjoyed. I don't know why he had been there, but he had.

"So, what wanted to make you enlist," he said in an almost creepy voice, I gulped, I didn't want to be here, not anymore. It made me uncomfortable, the fact that this man was accepted into the military was a mystery to me. His shirt was army green and stuck to his wide form.

"I wanted to support my country, my family, and my fellow man," I said my slightly southern accent leaking through. His creepy smile never leaving his face. This was the cheesiest thing I had ever said it made me internally groan, it had always been a dream of mine.

"It's always nice to have someone as eager as you," he said reaching toward me, grabbing my chin the pale, freckled skin turning an off-white color. He tilted my head as if checking for something. I felt my stomach twist running into my gut.

"you are going to have to cut your hair" I nodded, I already knew this my hair had grown longer than I had wished over the weeks I had spent on the farm. "I Know this is an odd question but have you ever engaged in homosexual activities"

"What are you implying," I said still calmly in my seat, my legs crossed.

"Nothing its just a new question added to the roster" He continually smiled, yellow teeth showing through.

"Oh, okay then, no" He smiled more at this response the smile reaching closer to the outer corner of his eye. His glasses shifting with his smile, he pushed them back into position with his chubby hand.

"Okay, sign here, then you will officially be in the Military" I smile signing the contract, giving myself away to the hope of protecting my mom and the land my father had fought for. The thought giving my smile a sad side.

I left his office feeling good about what I had done, this had been my dream since I was a young child.

The next few weeks were me just getting my body in shape and mentally preparing myself for boot camp. Building up my walls, brick by brick, calculating how everything would go; I didn't take into the account the emotional impact to the people around me.

     Three weeks of pushing my body forward but I wasn't ready for the goodbye of my mother and the last time I would see my father's grave. He fought in the last great war, dying before I was born. He was killed by German soldiers that had not known that the war ended.

Getting on the bus was the most terrible experience of my life, I had to hug my mother knowing full well that I could never see her again. Her tears were enough to make me regret my decision to leave. The bus was filled with guy's my age or younger. Looking at the bus I noticed that many of the men were hard looking, almost as if some of their happiness had been taken away. Most of their eyebrows were furrowed, darking their eyes. I tucked my long hair behind my ear, I had forgotten to get a haircut before I left.

    I sat on the bus next to a man I did not know for four long hours. We never sparked a conversation, I sat there feeling alone in the world. Watching the trees and large fields rush by, seeing cows and horses grazing. The road turned to dirt multiple times causing the bus to bounce earning a few groans. some of the men were loud and talkative.
    I stared to regret my decision but I had done this to myself so I powered on towards the war.
    When we got there people acted nice to catch us off guard, but I had heard stories I didn't let it effect me. The sorted us into flights putting me with fifteen other men, five of which were on the bus with me. The Sargent of our flight was a chief close to being a drill sergeant, his name was Edward Powers and he was harsh but kind, he was my favorite commander.
   Boone Eliot was a tale lanky kid, barely legal, but he  want to fight, so his family let him go.
   Jack Smith was harsh and buff but could talk up a storm. He had grown up in queens with John Shield.
John Shield, the mysterious man who was beside me to my right in the flight, his dark hair was cut into a buzz, the top slightly longer. His face was serous and sullen. His lips were plump but normally drawn into a thin line, wrinkles sat themselves between his brows even if he was around my age.
This was when I knew that this man would change my life.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
Hey, so I have been working on this for a while and I did research for this so everything should be historically accurate. Comment if you find and inconsistency's in this story.
    Sources:
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2012/5/25/1094817/-Remembering-LGBT-History-How-World-War-II-Changed-Gay-and-Lesbian-Life-in-America
https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/mobile/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005261
Thanks love you all!