Chapter Three

There were cookies

There were cookies. Several kinds of cookies, just sitting on the table, untouched by any of the pack members and friends in the room. Liam wiped his palms on his jeans. He felt like everyone was looking at him. He did a quick scan of the room. Everyone was looking at him. Especially Mason. Who was grinning like an idiot. Corey sat next to him. Lydia sat in the armchair, checking her phone. Malia and Stiles weren't around, leaving space for a very uncomfortable Nolan standing in the corner.

Without thinking Liam tilted towards Theo, sitting next to him on the couch. The small movement caught the attention of every werewolf in the room, causing Liam to tilt in the opposite direction to ease the tension, which didn't last long when Theo's long arm snaked around his shoulders, pulling him close.

'So...' Corey was the first to speak, 'You can turn into a wolf. Like, for real.'

'Yeah.'

'And you said the Nemeton did this?' Mason asked.

'With Theo's help.'

All eyes turned to Theo who rubbed Liam's shoulder. 'Got to pass on something to the future generation, right?'

Lydia turned to Scott, 'So just to make sure we're all completely fine with this happening.'

Scott shrugged, swiping a cookie off the plate.

'Wait for Derek.'

The grumpy were wolf had been hanging around the woods near the old Hale residence for the past few days. Scott had tried to talk Derek into returning but Derek hadn't given a hint of what his intentions were either way. When he called about the Nemeton Derek sounded like he was in a rush to get over to Liam's house, but so far they'd been sitting there for nearly an hour with no Derek.

'Is it bad?' Nolan worked up the courage to speak, cringing when the attention in the room fell on him. Liam felt his fists clench seeing Nolan there, but Scott said it was important to build bridges and to let more humans see and understand their world.

'On a scale of one to Theo it's somewhere at a 4.' Corey said, causing Mason to chuckle. A glare from Liam shut him up.

'Scott—Stiles.' Lydia handed the alpha her phone, rolling her eyes. She took notice of Theo's arm around Liam's shoulders for the first time, a smile spreading across her face.

'Liam. I can't believe you—this was your plan all along. No wonder you resurrected Theo.' She said.

'What? No! I didn't even know this was a thing.'

Lydia nodded, resting her head on her fists and leaning forward.

'Obviously.'

Liam relaxed.

'Theo clearly manipulated you into tapping the power of the Nemeton so he could get revenge on all of us.'

Liam's eyes flashed, fangs jutting out from his snarling mouth. Everyone braced for a fight, waiting for Scott to step in. Before the alpha could put down the phone Theo reached out, hand gently stroking the back of Liam's neck.