Chapter 21 - Poppyheart's P.O.V.

My eyes grew round and my fur pricked up. Moaning sounds came from beside me and I knew right away there were more than one. I grabbed the large, tangy leaves and then picked up the long stems of the arrow-shaped flowers that I had already picked. Before I could retrace my steps to get Lilypatch, she was already rushing up to me with the bundle of rush in her jaws.

"Hurry!" I mumbled, herbs clenched tight in my mouth. I gradually trotted to a run with Lilypatch pounding in front of me. 

Together, Lilyheart and I took off out of SpiritClan's old territory and entered the LightClan moor. We eased into a full blown run, bolting through the long grass. I kept my eyes locked on the four flesh-eaters as they staggered toward us. Their putrid smell wafted over to us in the breeze. Wrinkling up my nose, I tried to smell hide their stank with the tangy smell of the herbs. It didn't work as well as I had hoped.

The two of us kept up our speed to the point where the four flesh-eaters looked like ants in the distance. I stumbled to a halt, setting the bindweed and dock down and gulping in as much air as I could. By then, Lilypatch couldn't run any further either and she, too, stopped running to catch her breath. The grey she-cat lowered her head and slumped her shoulders, breathing heavily.

Soon, I caught my breath and padded toward a small pond. Sun glazed the surface and reflected off of it near the edge of one side. The dirt had suspended itself to the bottom of the pond and was as clear as the sky on the top. 

I lapped away at the water and let it slide down my throat. I refused to stop, even my thirst was quenched. Lilypatch dashed over, obviously determined to get a drink. She set down the three different plants in between us and submerged her whole head in the water. Heartbeats went by and she still didn't bring her head up. Bubbles drifted delicately to the surface where it popped and was consumed by the air.

Just then, Lilypatchs head shot out of the water briskly, her ears drooping and fur clinging to her skull. Her face was completely drenched and all she did was lick his lips and then lap the water more. "Someone's thirsty," I purred.

She kept her eyes closed and continued to lap up with water. The moaning started to get closer and the sound of shuffling, too. "We have to hurry." I growled, looking around frantically. Lilypatch sucked in as much water as she could before grabbing the bundle of rush.

Grabbing the bindweed and dock leaves, the two of us peeled away. The fence wasn't too far away, but I couldn't get enough air in my lungs with the clump of herbs filling my mouth.

I refused to stop, even when my vision began to blur. I couldn't slow them down or get myself killed. Two medicine cats are better than one, and I'm the one with the important herbs. They'd have to pry the bloody rush from my jaws, as dangerous as that would be. 

The sun was starting to head down as we neared the Twolegplace fence. Legs on fire, head spinning and lungs aching, I felt like wailing with pain. We're so close! Behind us, a flesh-eater let out a growl. It's heavy paw-steps vibrated the earth as it threatened to close in on the two of us. 

The fence was nearly tail-lengths away when I tripped over my own foot and tumbled to the ground. My legs cramped up and with shaky breaths, I fought to stand up. Trembling, my weakened body refused to let me up on my paws. "Get... up..." Lilypatch begged, nudging me with her nose. She was panting as well, stumbling her way to the fallen fence. I even attempted to crawl, but my muscles refused.

Lilypatch gazed at me with worried blue eyes. She slowly was making her way onto the fence. "Come on... it doesn't take long for them to catch up!" The grey she-cat fretted, glancing behind me with apprehension. 

Wheezing, I sat up and grasped the herbs tighter. Glimpsing over my shoulder, the sight of the four infected cats closing in on me gave me enough motivation to heave myself to my paws. "They just don't give up, do they?" I mumbled to myself, turning around and slowly padded over the fence.

Lilypatch followed by my side. "Squirreltail thinks she might pass out," Mudpaw gasped as we neared the injured she-cat. "What took you so long?" Lighteningice mewed from the roof, scooting her kits toward her more. Cloudjaw fluffed out his pelt and hopped down to meet us. Were we that long that the hunting patrol has already come back? 

"We almost got caught by four flesh-eaters. They haven't given up, either." I growled after setting down the rush. Squirreltail looked drowsy, meaning they had already fed her poppy seeds for pain. I scooted the two main herbs toward Squirreltail as Redfur prepared her ankle.