~18~ A Reason for Cursing

"Any word yet?" Theiden asked. It was two days since Lenesa's suggestion of using one of the teacup goblins to see his family, but there was still no news from Kivirra on whether she would allow it.

The witch kept her eyes on her sewing and shook her head, and Theiden gave a sigh.

"Perhaps after our sparring session," she suggested.

But Theiden's training came and went, and by the end of the afternoon, there was still no sign of the scrying witch or any of her goblins.

"It might still take a few days," Lenesa assured him as she prepared dinner.

"How did you ask her?" Theiden grumbled. "Did you attach a letter to a tortoise?"

"I gave it to a raven, actually," Lenesa replied.

"You can't be serious."

"I am, very much so."

"How is it supposed to know where she lives?"

Lenesa gave a small laugh. "Ravens are quite intelligent creatures. And before you ask—I've sent letters by raven before. It will work." Her lightheartedness pushed against the tension he felt, tempting him to burst and lash out at her. Didn't she care at all?

"But when?" This time, he couldn't keep the impatience from his voice.

She looked up from the bowl of salad she was preparing and set a hand on his arm. It was cold, as usual, but Theiden felt a small shock at her touch this time. Her gaze had turned serious now, and he realized that she had only been trying to put him at ease with her earlier carefree demeanor.

"Soon."

Unsettled, Theiden moved away and stepped into the main part of the cottage, careful to avoid Shwei in cat form on the armchair again. Ever since Lenesa had suggested it, he hadn't been able to stop thinking about seeing his family again. How was Em doing? Was his mother in good health? How were they surviving without his income from hunting? Had they been forced to sell all their belongings? Did they have enough food? The worries never ended.

And when would he be able to return home? He couldn't afford to wait much longer.

"Dinner's ready," Lenesa announced. Theiden turned away from the fireplace to see her setting out their places at the table. It was such a normal, harmless thing to do—she could have been just another citizen of Patachal City in that moment, and the realization turned Theiden's stomach in something akin to guilt. If the situation were different, perhaps he would have enjoyed Lenesa's company. Aside from the fact that she was a witch, she had really not been so terrible as he had expected.

He mulled over that last thought for a while. In fact, Lenesa had been more friendly and hospitable than some of his neighbors. From what she had told him earlier, she even went to help those who lived in the city. Aside from the fact that she had cursed his daughter, she had never been unnecessarily cruel to him or anyone else. So then why would she have done such a thing in the first place, if it wasn't in her character to do so?

The image of Helaine's prone form in the forest sprung to his mind, then, and suddenly it made sense. Of course. How could he have not realized it until now?

Lenesa looked up and caught him staring.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" she asked, a frail smile on her face as Theiden slowly approached her.

"I'll help you re-tile the roof," he said. "And paint the door as well—if it weren't for me, the faun never would have left those scratches in it.