Liking Another

"So he just... watched?" Hunter asked, biting into an apple.

"Yeah. I was just playing my guitar and he just watched me." (Y/N) looked at the apple in Hunter's hand. It had been in his palm for about 20 minutes now and he had only taken two or three bites. "You barely eat, ya know. That's not good for you, starving yourself and stuff."

"Oh, I'm not starving myself, I'm just... not hungry." Hunter gave me his normal, friendly smile that every energetic anime guy gives.
The bell rang and Max ran from his hiding spot to fifth period, a class he had with Caleb, science. On the first day in this class, Max and Caleb sat at a counter-table in the back together, not wanting to draw attention to each other or talk to anyone they didn't know. Who knows what these kids could do? Some girls were cheating the dress code with crop tops and netted shirts underneath and some guys already had tattoos. TATTOOS.

Just no.

"So, how's (Y/N)?" Caleb asked Max as he sat beside him, putting his backpack on the floor.

"Yesterday, they just played guitar, did homework, called a friend, normal stuff." Max gave a weak smile. "I know they're coming back though. Don't you think so, Caleb?"

Caleb's heart filled with pity. They were sophomores now, the incident happening a year ago, and (Y/N) didn't know any signs of returning to normal. Caleb just dropped his chin to his chest and frowned. Max got the hint and the teacher walked in...

"Wait! Wait!" Caleb shouted, running past David and Gwen to catch up with Ford and Dipper. They both turned to look over their shoulders. "What happened? What did you do to my sibling?"

"I'm sorry, son, but they're not the same anymore. They had forgotten everything. They'll learn things you learned in school, things they experienced..." Ford paused for a moment. "...and they've forgotten everything they said they'd always remember."

"THAT'S BULLSHIT THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT!" Caleb screamed, tears brimming his eyes, protesting against the truth.

"I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do!" The three fell silent for a second. Ford took out a pen and a notepad from his pocket and wrote something down on the inside part of the cover, ripping out the notes he had written in the past, and handing the remaining to Caleb. "Please, record anything you can about changes with (Y/N) in this. I've written both our phone numbers in here as well just in case something terrible has happened." Caleb held the notepad in his hands and looked up at Ford. Ford clasped a hand on Caleb's shoulder, let go, and walked away with Dipper.

"I have to admit though..." Max started saying, jaw in his palm, looking down. A blush appeared on his face. "I'm kind of starting to fall for them again..."

Caleb looked at the notepad in the side pocket of his backpack where he hides it. He prays everyday, praying nothing will happen and that (Y/N) will show signs of improvement, but they've gone the opposite direction.

Every night, Caleb writes down the updates from Max. Max, oblivious to the fact Caleb asks about (Y/N) everyday, gives the information and Caleb records it all. Caleb would read over his notes once a week, the dark lines of pen and pencil telling him what he wished wasn't real:

Week 77:

Monday-
Hasn't shown any improvement. Has been helpful as always. That's the only trait they seemed to keep.

Tuesday-
No improvement.

Wednesday-
No improvement

The space for Thursday, today, was empty, waiting to be filled.

~~~

"

So, do you like him?" Angelica asked, bouncing in her seat, her curly brown hair bouncing with her, blue eyes wide, face leaned into her camera. Laptop open, three screens up. One of Angelica, one of Darren. Angelica was a very energetic person and always tried playing cupid for (Y/N), but they've never given in to liking anyone. Darren was more laid back. He looked like a laid back person too, black hair always tousled but looked together and dark brown eyes so dark they looked black.

"Hunter? No! That's insane!" (Y/N) protested, a faint blush rising to their cheeks.

"Sure," Darren teased, stretching the single word a little too long. "You two are always under that tree at lunch. No one even knows how he gets to school or when he goes home, he's just always there. He's like the classic weird kid in movies."

"No, I asked him about that; he said he just gets to school really early," (Y/N) smiled. "And he isn't weird, he's really nice."

"Of course you would say that, that's because you like him!" Angelica leaned back in her chair, a satisfied look on her face, arms crossed. Darren rolled his eyes and smiled.

"Yeah, not as much as you like Darren," (Y/N) muttered under their breath.

"What did you say?" Angelica asked, genuinely asking because she wasn't paying attention. Darren, of course, was and blushed, turning away, pretending he's arranging something on his desk.

"Nothing," (Y/N) said, stretching the word, voice getting a little high pitch towards the end.

Max knocked on the door. "I'm coming in," he said in the monotone voice he only spoke to (Y/N) with. (Y/N) looked over their shoulder so Angelica and Darren could be seen on the laptop screen when Max opened the door. Max hung his head and shuffled to his side of the room, dropping his backpack beside his bed.

"So you two do love together?" Darren ask, emphasizing "do".

"Yeah, why?" (Y/N) answer, a little confused.

"It's just, you'd think kids the same age in their year of highschool would hang out with each other right? Yeah, I just never see you hang out with Max or uh what's your twin brother's name?..."

"Caleb. Caleb and I have a fine connection. Everyone freaks out about that because we're twins and we should have that sort of twin bond, but it's not really like other's. Max and I?... We share a room. Does that count?"

"No, you two have to have conversations once in a while. We never see you two talk to each other." Max felt his pulse pause for a second. (Y/N) looked at him and he dropped his gaze back to the binder in his lap. All Max could hear was (Y/N) making deet deet deeeet sounds with their mouth. Morse code? Again?

(A / is a space and a period or comma is just a period to show the end of the sentence.)

"-- •- -•-- -••• • -•--/ •- - / -•• •• -• -• • -•-," (Y/N)'s cheeks flushed a little. "•- -• -•• / -•-- • ••• / •• / -•• --- / •-•• •• -•- • / •••• •• --." They hung up the video call, only getting a fragment of Angelica's squeal.