One-shot #NewYearsEveChallenge

A/N: I don't own anything, some characters belong to Amy Sherman-Palladino, the story and the title were inspired by the Rob Reiner movie "When Harry Met Sally".

Grateful thanks to @BeccsGilmorePotter  for being my beta reader on this story.

Music is "It had to be you" by  Harry Connick Jr.

Rory had always liked Logan's friends, and they had all reciprocated this feeling. Therefore, when the couple broke up, it was hard for all of them. They didn't really want to take sides, but it was difficult to see Rory as much as they used to, so they all went their way and finally lost touch. It was without counting on fate.

January 2010

The first time they met was at JFK airport. Rory was waiting in line for a cab when she heard a male voice whispering in her ear.

"Penny for your thoughts"

She distinctively recognized this accent and turned her head to the source and beamed.

"Finn!"

"Hello love" they hugged each other fondly. "Do you want to share my ride? I'm heading to Manhattan, what about you?"

"Midtown, I have to go to the office before heading home"

"Then come with me love, we'll drop you off and we can catch up in the car." 

He grabbed her suitcase. He was already two steps ahead and she was still dumbstruck. She hadn't seen him since the summer after his graduation four years ago. She hurried her steps and ogled him to come to the conclusion that he hadn't change that much, just a little tanner than usual, but still with his communicative grin. They arrived at the town car where a gorgeous blonde was standing talking on the phone. Rory turned to Finn with a quizzical look.

"Rory, I would like you to meet my fiancée Samantha Reese" Rory stared at Finn in total disbelief and turned to Samantha who was just ending her call. The brunette extended her hand to the blonde.

"Honored to meet the woman who was able to tame the beast. I guess Finn changed a lot since I last saw him"

"Nice to meet you too. Finn is a sweetheart, we only met a few months ago and he just proposed to me when we were in Australia visiting his family. He's so romantic"

Rory couldn't believe her ears, things can definitively evolve a lot in four years. Finn was grinning and totally hooked. The driver took their suitcases and the Aussie opened the door for the girls.

"So Love, where are you working now?" Finn asked once they were seated in the car.

"I've been at the New York Times for a few months now".

"Wow, so you finally did it. Congratulations Love, you see, no need to hurry, you still got what you wanted. I have never doubted that you could do it" Finn said while sitting next to her.

"What about you Finn, still in med school?"

"Yep, finishing this year, I'm waiting to know where I'll do my residency"

"I'm impressed and which residency did you choose?"

He told the driver to stop first at the New York Times building.

"I applied for surgical and emergency medicine. I haven't made up my mind yet. It'll depend on which program I get in. And what about you, are you dating?"

"Well, I have been dating an ABC reporter for about a month now"

"Where is he? Why didn't he pick you up at the airport? It's usually what guys do at the beginning of a relationship" Rory laughed.