~6~

In Kent another scream of outrage could be heard from one Lady Catherine de Bourgh as she too read the announcement in the paper.  Slamming the offensive material down onto the table where she and her daughter were enjoying a late breakfast, she demanded, "Have my carriage readied ! I am leaving for Hertfordshire this instant!  How dare that boy ! To let that girl pollute the shades of Pemberley!  I will not stand for it!"

Lady Catherine said no more as she stood from the table and rushed from the room, leaving her daughter Anne and the rest of the servants staring after her.  Not one inclined to follow.

*     *     *     *    *     *     *     *     *     *

In Hertfordshire, Elizabeth was reading the announcement of her upcoming nuptials as well. Instead of anger . . . there was only despair.  She couldn't help but wonder why Mr. Darcy had made the wedding date in two months.  She half expected him to demand they use a special license so he could force her into his bed as soon as possible, but she was grateful for the extra time to reconcile herself to her circumstances nonetheless.

"Miss Elizabeth?"

Looking up Lizzy saw their housekeeper Mrs. Hill standing at her bedroom door. "Yes, Mrs. Hill?"

"Your father requests you in his study."

"Tell him I'll be right there."

Once Mrs. Hill left Lizzy folded the paper with her engagement announcement and placed it under her pillow before seeking out her father. Entering his much beloved sanctuary she greeted, "You wanted me, Papa?"

"Indeed.  Have a seat, Lizzy.  I've just sent for your Uncle Phillips.  I want him to go over the settlement papers with me before I return them to Mr. Darcy's solicitor."

Taking a seat in front of her father's desk, Lizzy asked, "And what do you need me for?  I trust you and Uncle Phillips will do your best to make sure the settlement is fair to me.  I know with our circumstances we can't really hope for much, but as long as Mr. Darcy saves us from ruin that is all that really matters."

Sliding the settlement papers across his desk towards his daughter, Mr. Bennet said, "I was of the same mind yesterday when Mr. Galloway first arrived with the settlement; however, I was shocked at what Mr. Darcy proposed . I confirmed with Mr. Galloway several times that the stipulations were ordered by Mr. Darcy himself and this is how he wishes it."

Believing Mr. Darcy had given her as little as possible in the settlement papers since he had the upper hand in this situation, Elizabeth asked, "Is it so bad?  I had hoped he would be somewhat fair."

"Take a look for yourself."

Picking up the settlement papers, Elizabeth began to read.  The further she got, the more her shock grew.  When she finally came to the end she looked up at her father with wide eyes, gasping, "This cannot be!"

Giving his daughter a faint grin, Mr. Bennet laughed, "I was just as surprised as you.  I told Mr. Galloway the same thing, but he was insistent upon the fact that Mr. Darcy demanded these exact stipulations in the settlement.  Mr. Galloway told me he tried to advise Mr. Darcy several times not to give you so much, but Mr. Darcy refused."

Looking down at the papers in her hands, Lizzy whispered, "But it is so very much."

"Indeed. Even without Netherfield, with that much money settled upon you at the time of your marriage, you will make well over two thousand pounds per annum. And that is in addition to the ample pin money Mr. Darcy intends to provide you."

"And it is mine to do with as I please?"

Nodding his head, Mr. Bennet replied, "Yes. Mr. Galloway said that your intended was adamant that you never need to ask anyone for money.  Not even him.  He said that Mr. Darcy was insistent you be well provided for should he die or should no children come from your union."