Chapter 1

The light glistened off his smile and twinkled in his eyes as he walked through the door of my house in his unbuttoned tux and loose tie. He began to twirl and the angels started to sing as he laughed. "What're you doing?" I laughed

"Join me Lincoln. Have some fun before we head to our last dance of the semester," his hand was out and I looked at it. The calloused palms of a hard worker stood out along with his elongated piano fingers. The bit nails that indicated he had been nervous recently caught my eyes and I reached for them.

"Why were you chewing your nails? I thought we talked about this?" I looked up at him as he intertwined his hands with mine and placed them on my chest. Our eyes made contact and I couldn't help but smile. A set of sparkling greens stared back at me behind a layer of curly, thick, soft, black hair.

"Sometimes I can't help it. Trig is a nerve wracking subject," another laugh escaped his throat as he unclasped our hands and gripped my waist, pulling me in and leaning me back.

"My parents could walk in ya know? I don't think they would be very fond to see their son with the lead male pianist of the school band." I laid my palm on his chest.

"They won't see you with anyone. They won't see me and they won't see you. You killed me Lincoln. My blood is on your hands and I shall never forgive you!" The skin on his face began to rot and a high cackle hit my ears.

Darkness surrounded me and I was dropped to the ground, my hands started to become clammy and my breath began to quicken. . It's your fault. It's your fault. His voice was in my head, accusing me. You weren't there when I needed you most. You abandoned me.

"I'm so sorry! Lucas, you have to believe me!" The tears sprung to my eyes as the sorrow filled my chest. "No, no, no... It wasn't my... It wasn't my fault!"

"LIAR!" A harsh voice came from all around me. "You are going to pay for your sins along with everyone else in this town! I'm going to make sure of it!"

I bolted upright in my bed as a scream clawed its way out of my throat and I began gasping for air. The blankets were entangled in between my legs, my fists clenched so tight I could feel the skin begin to tear. Sweat was falling into my eyes, mixing with the tears that were dripping off of my chin. I blinked my eyes multiple times as the sunlight leaked in through my curtains.

"Lincoln? Lincoln!" My mother's voice came to my ears as she burst through door.

I couldn't look over at her. The memories of my dream were trapped in my head. It has been the same dream for the past three years. Same night. Same events. Why was it different this time? That voice... I've never heard it before. The raspiness and the anger. It felt so real and Lucas... He has always felt real no matter-.

"Lincoln answer me! What happened?" She yelled down at me.

"It was the dream mom... I'm fine." I said the words but I knew she wouldn't believe me. She never has.

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry for yelling at you." Her voice became soft and she sat down next to me, placing an arm around my sweaty shoulders while she leaned her head on top of mine.

"Mom get off. I'm fine okay? It is just a dream," I said as I pushed myself forward till I reached the end of my bed. "I need to shower and get ready for school."

Before she had the chance to stop me and force something out I had grabbed the clothes from my dresser that I had placed there the previous night and burst down the hall towards the bathroom. I stepped into the dark room and locked the door behind me, leaning my sweaty back against the the wood I began to sink to the ground. It is that time of year again I thought coldly. The time of year that everyone in this fake town gives me looks of sympathy and sadness. Fills our doorstep with food and has a remembrance service. The time of year that just makes me want to be with him instead of in a place where all I can feel is pain. "It has been three years Lucas... Three years since that night and you haven't left these people's minds, especially mine. You've left a mark on the hearts of this town and you had so much more to live for."