[2] Omnia

After a particularly slow taxi ride home from work, I walked into the lobby of my building. Focused on whatever was capturing my attention on my phone, I only look up as I near the elevator, my heart suddenly racing. Logan, right there, waiting for the elevator. Before he could notice me, I duck behind the nearest wall, out of his view.

Once I hear the elevator come and go, I return to my prior position and push the button, calling the elevator down to my level. That's the closest encounter I've managed to have with him, which looking back, I should've assumed he would be there. He gets off work at the same time every day, but I guess Mitchum just rattled me that much.

I make it into my apartment, set down my bag and shrug off my coat before picking up a take-out menu from the side table by the door. I decided to get Chinese, placing my order before stepping into my room to change into sweats. Sooner or later, the food arrives and I watch reruns on TV until I decide to go to bed, pretty much what I do every night.

I wake up bright and early to beat the rush to work, having to turn in my piece and remind Doyle that I will be in the states for a few days to check on the Stars Hollow Gazette – the paper that I manage back home since Taylor was planning to shut it down.

"Hey, Jenna. How are you this morning?" I ask my assistant as we exchange papers, moving into my office with her following behind. I set my bag on my desk and quickly shove the papers into it along with other things I will need during this trip. Just because I have to go back, doesn't mean I get off work.

"I'm great, Miss Gilmore. You have no new messages and Mr. Lopez from the paper in Spain emailed you back. He said he'd love to run your piece!" She replies, doing the usual morning update.

"Sounds great, Jenna! Email Mr. Lopez and tell him I'll be in touch if he ever needs anything. Now, I've finished my piece and I need you to run it up to Doyle and scan it into the system, please. I know I've already told you, but I'll be in the states for a few days so if you need anything don't hesitate to call, but use the number I circled on that sticky note I gave you yesterday. That's my only number that gets service in Stars Hollow. Sound good?" I reposition my bag onto my shoulder, grabbing my keys off my desk before meeting Jenna's gaze.

"Sounds perfect! I'll keep you updated about your piece through email with Doyle and yourself. Oh," she pauses, turning back to her desk. I follow her out, knowing I have everything I'll need for my trip, "here you go, Miss Gilmore. I picked it up just before you arrived," She grins as she hands me my second favorite coffee.

"Thank you, Jenna! Alright, I'm heading out. Have a great couple of days!" I dismiss her, to which she responds with a timid nod, and I walk out the door of my floor. I pause for a second before quickly turning on my heel and leaning my head back into the doorframe, "And relax for a few days while I'm gone."

--

Two hours of reading and editing another upcoming article of mine later, the plane is still flying over the ocean and I have nothing more to do. I sigh, boredom overtaking me before I dig through my bag to see if I brought that book I intended to grab on my way out this morning, sadly realizing that I didn't remember to grab it in my rush out the door. I sigh again, bringing my hands up to run over my face in frustration before landing my gaze on a sight I never expected.

"Stay photogenic, Love," the memory runs through my thoughts. 

Finn? I blink a few times, refusing to believe the fact that he's sitting two rows in front of me across the aisle, but yet when I refocus my gaze, he's still there in all his glory talking up the stewardess. After a moment, he hands her a piece of paper with a wink. Oh, Finn. I grin, loving the fact that he hadn't seemed to change after all these years.

Logan and I had our Vegas agreement, but that didn't include the rest of the group, meaning I hadn't seen Finn in almost ten years. I'm glad to know that some of the best things will never change, Finn and all his Finn-ness with it.

I switch on my phone, glancing at the time to estimate just about how long the rest of this flight will be, also doing math to add in the time-zones. I estimate that it will be another three hours at least before we touch down, internally groaning at the thought of being stuck next to this snoring sycophant to my right even longer. My eyes go to find Finn again, wanting to take my mind off of everything, only to see that his seat is empty. I wait for minutes, ten, then twenty to see if he returns. Nothing. Weird.

Shortly after the mysterious disappearance of my friend, a stewardess – correction, the stewardess Finn was undoubtedly chatting up earlier – comes down the aisle with the meals each passenger ordered a few hours ago. She eventually makes it to me, setting down my chicken salad and coffee onto the tray right in front of me. I give her a smile and a quite 'thank you' before reaching for the mouth-watering beverage taunting me from the small distance. Being one to travel a lot for work and finally coming to terms with the fact that I'm no longer a teenager with an extremely good metabolism, I always try to be somewhat healthy on flights. Key word: somewhat. I could never give up my coffee; in no way is this coffee great, or even good for that matter, and it certainly doesn't beat Luke's, but its enough to fill the void of my consistent caffeine cravings.

Feeling myself start to relax and become less annoyed by the world – thanks to the much-needed caffeine – I pull the lid off my salad, ready to dig in. Confusion draws across my brow as I see a folded piece of paper taped to the inside of the lid. Forgetting all about my lunch, I detach the paper and unfold it, curious to see what it reads.

Omnia

I grin to myself, knowing Finn was the culprit. I guess he spotted me before I did him. The cursive dances across the paper, straight into my thoughts as I try to drum up any idea what he's up to, eventually coming up blank. I know it's about the Life and Death Brigade, that much is obvious, but why now? Why me?

"Oh, Finn," I whisper, thinking out loud with a small grin, "What are you up to?"

Edited.