26

RECAP:
Ponyboy and Nicole are married with two twin children. Jacob Johnathan, after two important people who died too soon, JJ, and Lacey Jane, or LJ. Steve and Soda are married and decide to adopt two girls one is morgan one is Maddie. morgan is older than Maddie. JJ has a disability and when playing on the swing set at the Randle house he falls and ends up technically dying, his heart stops and they rushed him to the hospital. CPS is involved and then that's when they meet Morgan and Maddie. It is now the day before Thanksgiving and after dinner the kids are playing with Dally and everybody else is just talking and having a great time when somebody knocks on the door claiming to be Johnny's sister.
Now:
All of us are speechless.
"Yeah. We knew Johnny. Why are you reaching out now?" Dally asks.
"I just turned 18, finally able to live on my own. I learned I was adopted a few years back and then learned my real name is Elizabeth Cade, and that my brother had died recently. My parents didn't seem to be helpful, and I want to know more about my brother." She says.
"Yeah. His death was taken hard by all of us. He was Pony's best bud" Darry says.
"He was always shy and amazing and was the only one ol' dall here would show sympathy to" Pony said.
We sit for a while and just talk about Johnny.
"Right well I should get back to my parents..." Elizabeth says.
"No!" Everyone shouts at once
"What? Why not?" She asks quietly.
"They abused Johnny" Steve says.
"Oh..." Elizabeth responds.
"Stay with us" I blurt out.
"Yeah" Ponyboy agrees.
We get Elizabeth to agree and we leave.
"You can stay in the guest bedroom" I say as we walk in the home.
"JJ, LJ, get ready for bed" Ponyboy says as the twins take their coats off.
Elizabeth leaves to her bedroom, and I pick up toys.
Ponyboy is sitting by the fireplace rereading gone with the wind.
"She looks so much like him" I say quietly.
"Yeah... the brown eyes, tanned skin, curly black hair..." Ponynoy says sadly.
I walk over from the toybin and sit on his lap.
"I wonder what he is doing right now" I say as I rest my head on his shoulder.
"Probably smiling and having a cancer stick" Ponyboy laughs.
"Put the fire out and come to bed" I say as I stand up.
I crawl into bed after changing into a tank top and shorts.
It isn't lomg before I feel the bed shift with Pony's weight as he curls up next to me.
---
My dream is of a favorite memory of mine. Johnny, Pony and I are at the movie, and none of us are paying attention. After the movie, we all decided to stay in the lot for the night since none of us had a reason to go home. Dave was at my house, Johnny's parents were at his, and Ponyboy wanted to be with me.
The three of us had figured out about Soda and Steve pretty recentky at that time so we talked about them.
Johnny had said they were brave and he didnt think he would ever be as brave as the two of them. In this society it takes real guts to walk around with someone of the same sex and hold hands.
—-
I wake up and expect Ponyboy to be next to me. He isn't. He always did wake up early.
I grab a hoodie and throw it on as I walk to the kitchen, smelling eggs.
"I dreamt of him" I say as I wrap my arms around his torso.
"Me too" he states as he turns his head to kiss me.
"Where's Elizabeth?" I ask noticing her shoes missing from by the front door.
"Research on Johnny. When do you think she'll learn about the fire?" Ponyboy asks.
"Probably going to be the first thing that comes up. You two were heroes then." I say.
"I'm never going to get used to the use of past tense when talking about him" Ponyboy states sadly.
"I know" I say as I kiss his cheek and walk away to get the kids awake.
"JJ! LJ! Up and at 'em!" I yell from the living room.
It isnmt long before the two are running towards us.
JJ has a seizure mid run and falls down.
"Im otay!" He says as he gets up and climbs in his chair.
We feed them their breakfast.
"I wanna go see Maddie!" LJ yells as she climbs down.
"Okay, go get dressed you two" I reply to the twins and LJ helps JJ get down and they run to their room.
"My dad's four year is today" I say, more to myself as realization hits me.
"You are not leaving mine or anyone else's sight today, you got it?" Ponyboy says sternly.
"Whatever" I walk to our room to get dressed.
I didnt feel like trying. I threw on Sweatpants and a tee shirt, and put my hair in a sloppy bun before returning.
No makeup.
I wore makeup even when I was in labor.
The twins were at the door.
Here we go.