Chapter 33

Katerina

I opened my eyes and looked around. The walls were bare. The entire room was bare, except for the bed. No windows. Nothing.

My head as pounding, my throat was dry.

I looked up and found fluids hanging. I followed the connection and found it connected to me.

I don't quickly pulled it out of me.

Memories from the night before—was it the night before? I asked myself, confused.

I shook my head.

Fear and panic filled me.

They beat Joaquin. They beat him right in front of me.

This can't be happening.

I stood up and my knees buckled, I grabbed onto the edge of the bed and tried to stand up again, once I felt strong enough. I walked towards the door and tried to open it, but it was locked.

I banged on the door. "Let me out! Let me out of here!" I screamed.

No one answered.

I continued to bang on the door, to no avail.

Pushing off the door, I looked around trying to find something. Anything.

I looked up and found a camera.

Son of a bitch is watching me and no doubt enjoying this.

I can't give the satisfaction of seeing how terrified I am. I'm going to fight till the death.

My thoughts wandered to Dave. Does he know? Where could he be now?

I shook my head.

He's not my concern any more than I am his concern.

He left. He chose to leave. Nothing's changed. I meant what I said when I told him that he will not be welcome to back. If I do get out of here, I'm going to think about moving, maybe to Italy. I could stay with nonno and on nonna.

I blinked away my tears.

No matter how angry I may be at Dave, why do I still want him? Why do I still need him to come and save me? To come for me?

Dave

"Anything?" I asked DeSousa.

He shook his head.

"What the fuck is the fucker waiting for?" Jake muttered.

"He wants us to know that he's in control," Nate said.

"We've got another problem," Allan cut in. "Diaz has been trying to get in touch with us and he's getting pissed off. We can't continue ignoring him. He's going to know that something is up. He already knows Katie has been taken. He knows we know something that we're not telling him. We need to ice him something to keep him off our backs."

"Diaz owes me. I saved his fucking life and I think it's time to cash in," Dave said. "Get in touch with him and tell him to come to our office. I've got an offer he can't refuse."

"He's one of the good ones. He won't turn a blind eye on what we're planning to do," Jake pointed out.

"I know, but I'm hoping he'll do it for me as a friend."

***
"Thanks for coming," I told Diaz as he walked in.

"Cut the shit. I know you guys have been avoiding me and you know more than you want to admit."

I nodded.

"Do you know who's behind this?" He asked.

"Yeah. The falcons."