three

three: TONGUE TIED

three: TONGUE TIED

Jasmine didn't understand.

Jared had hastily offered to drive her to and from school every day for the past few weeks and even offered to have lunch with her. He was holding conversations with her, making jokes and even tried to comfort the girl in times of need, but when Jasmine asked why he did this all he said was "Why not?"

She had many ways to answer him; he had been fine ignoring her every day before, he had new friends that he cared about, and she had Riley. The words never seemed to come out though, she didn't respond after he said that just to make him happy. Jasmine would rather see her brother happy with her rather than sad with friends. She doubted Jared would do the same.

Green trees surround the car on the dusty road, a trail of fog ahead of the small truck Jared owned. Her eyes traced the clouds in the sky, taking in the shapes they held and how fast they were passing with the car. The woodland area held a fresh smell, something she's been craving forever. Ever since she lost her camera, Jasmine didn't go out in the wilderness.

A sweet tune of Maroon 5's 'She Will Be Loved' rang through the car, her phone vibrating in the cup holder. As soon as she say the word "Riles<3" she answered, hoping that the friend was just wondering where she was. Pressing the speaker button, Jared glanced at her as Jasmine said, "Hello?"

"So, why do I, your best friend, have to find out from Colin that Paul Lahote, your ex-best friend, saved you from falling over a cliff and brought you home to cuddle two weeks ago?"

Jasmine's eyes grew wide, her eyes staring at Jared like a fish out of water. His grip on the steering wheel tightened and his face was slightly shaking when Riley exclaimed that. 'Only a few more minutes, she thought, then we'll be at school.'

"That's not what happened! I-I didn't-he just-ugh!" she stuttered. "He just brought me to Sam Uley's and I slept on the couch alone." Colin Littlesea was one dead dickhead and she would make him pay for this.

Riley scoffed, "Oh please, Jasmine, you would have loved it if he did. We're friends, Jas. We tell each other stuff like this immediately, not two weeks after!" Riley's voiced gradually got higher and she could imagine her raising her hands while doing it.

Jared was almost to the school when, Jasmine took it off speaker and said, "It's not a big deal! That's the last time I'll see him. Don't throw a cow over this, I don't even like him."

"What? That's ridiculous just.."

"I'll see you at school," Jasmine muttered, ending the call which would make Riley get even more pissed than she was now.