Chapter 1 - One Year Later

Mikayla's P.O.V.

I was training with dad and we where in the middle of fencing with our machetes but my mind where somewhere else. All of a sudden my machete Stabitha flew out of my hand and I fell backwards onto the ground.

"Mikayla, what's wrong with you today? You're not focused and not as good as I know that you can be" My dad said as he looked down at me.

"I'm sorry dad, I just have alot going on inside my mind because today is a special day that has brought up alot of memories again" I said as I stood up.

"A special day? I thought it was just a regurlar Wednesday" He said.

"I mean it is, but it's also been a year since King Brady left the island" I said and bit my lip.

"Oh... is that today?" He said.

"Yeah that's today, I just really miss him dad" I said.

"We all do but it was his choice to leave" He said.

"Yeah but it's kinda my fault that he even made that choice" I mumbled to myself and luckily dad didn't hear it.

In that moment the kings walked out from the castle.

"Hey Mason, can we borrow Mikayla? Me and Boz are taking a hike through the jungle and to stay safe we need a guard" Boomer said as he approached us.

"I'm afraid that Mikayla won't be very good at guarding you today" Dad said and chuckled.

"Why not? She's the best guard we have here" Boomer said.

"Normally yeah but today her mind is all over the place and that made her unfocused during our training" Dad said.

"We could still use some company plus it's better to have her with us in case something does happen so are you coming Mikayla?Boomer said.

"Yeah sure" I said and nodded.

We said goodbye to dad and walked out in the jungle.

"So why are your mind all over the place today?" Boz asked.

"Well um, you see today is a special day" I began.

"It's been a year since Brady left the island" Boomer interrupted me and said.

"Oh" Boz said "You know I wish I could get to meet him sometime, he seems like a cool dude"

"You know that it's today as well Boomer? Wow, I thought I was the only one who remembered that" I said and looked at Boomer surprised.

"Yeah of course I remember it, he's my brother and I've know him longer than I've known anyone of you. I miss him alot" Boomer said.

"Me too Boomer, it hasn't been a day that I haven't thought about him and wondering how he is and what he's doing" I said.

"Why don't we just go and visit him?" Boz said.

"We can't do that. We have to stay here because we're the kings and we can't betray our people like he did. I mean even if we're only gone for a day it means that cousin Lanny would be in charge here and noone wants that" Boomer said.

"Yeah please, last time he was in charge it was horrible, thank god he's not the king here" I said.

"Okay well why don't you go Mikayla?" Boz said.

"Yeah I bet he'd be really happy to see you again" Boomer said and smirked.

"Yeah right, I'm the reason he left remember" I said.

"Well techiqually it's Candis fault because she gossiped about stuff that you never said and Brady doesn't know that" Boomer said.

"That's true but I don't think my dad would let me leave" I said.

"Why not? You can protect yourself on an dangerous island so a big city like Chicago won't be any problem for you either" Boz said.

"Maybe I should try and ask him, It would be really good seeing Brady again" I said.

Later when we came back to the castle I approached my dad who was speaking to the other guards.

"Dad, can I talk to you for a minute" I said.

"Yeah of course, what is it Mikayla?" He said.

"I was wondering if... if I could borrow a hot air balloon and fly to Chicago tomorrow? I want to visit Brady" I said.

"We need you here Mikayla, you're better than any of the other guards" He said.

"I know but you can manage one day without me, I just want to see him" I said.

"I'm not letting you go to a big city alone so it's still a no" He said.

"But you just said I was the best of your guards and that means I can take care of myself, even in a big city" I said.

"I'm still not letting you go" He said.

I glared at him before angrily walking away to my bedroom. I threw myself on my bed and looked over at the picture that I had on my bedside table. It was one of me and Brady during one of our Kinkowian festivals. We where smiling and I couldn't help but smile whenever I saw that picture. Since he left Kinkow a year ago I've realized that I do like him alot. Maybe he's abit immature sometimes but that's what makes him who he are and I even miss his daily compliments and the ways he always tried to impress and flirt with me. I want him to come back so much but I'm afraid he won't and I'm the only one who can make him change his mind by telling him the truth about what Candis said that night last year. I have to get to Chicago and I don't care if dad won't let me. I need him in my life. That night I made up a plan, I'd sneak out and take one of the hot air balloons in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep, and I packed my school backpack with the most necissary stuff for the journey.

A/N

Maybe you're wondering why I'm writing a Brakayla story in 2018? Well you see about two weeks ago I somehow ended up rediscovering Pair Of Kings which I used to love and my love for Brakayla came up to the surface again. Since we never know what happened to them after Brady left Kinkow I thought why not write my own version of the future of Brakayla. I hope you all will like this story!