The Flame who left the forest

Autumn has entered the now colorful forest as the brown, red, orange, and many different colored leaves, danced to the winds. That's all you could hear in the forest through the tall, dark oak trees.

Snap!

Suddenly, a small kitten ran through a bush in a clumsy manner. Excitement and adrenaline ran through her mind as she found a dip in the ground where another bush lay, her electric purple eyes sparkling.

Quickly, the young kit jumped into the bush, trying her best to be as hidden as possible and pulling her tail by her side. The kitten was a Siamese cat, and had three black stripes along her nose and some on her tail.

Paws steps caused the kits ears to perk up. "Hey Birch? Where are you?" A Tom said in a sing song voice.

Silence followed, causing the kit to lower more close to the ground, fear gripping her stomach. "Hmm, Maybe she isn't here at all. I guess I should look somewhere," the paws and the talking stopped ," Gotcha!" He claimed loudly, pushing his face under the bush to see Birch.

The young kit squeaked in surprise, but then giggled. Birch rubbed her face against her father's.

"hehehe I guess I'm dead prey, you have to carry me home now Dad," the kitten urged, falling into the ground dramatically. The Tom sighed, but smiled, picking up Birch and placing her on his back. His amber eyes sparkled like a flare. He was just happy to see his daughter.

He walked through the quiet forest with Birch on his back. He saw as the small kitten stared into the forest, fascinated by her surroundings as she usually did.

" Hey Birch," the tom cat started, getting the kit on his back's attention, " I know that you'll grow into a beautiful young queen one day, my little sapling."

Birch smiled innocently, looking at the back of her father's head with her caring, purple eyes as they continued through the forest, "Well, you'll help with that of course," she giggled.

Her father continued walking, allowing a couple seconds of silence to go by, "Yeah," he said more quietly.

There was an awkward silence, but only the father felt it, he felt guilty.

His paws entered a clearing in the forest and he stopped, grabbing Birch in his jaws and placing her down onto the soft grass. This was where their home was. On the side of the clearing was a small, rocky den, thistles coating the side.

The Siamese cat ran inside the den joyfully, running to meet her mother inside. She found an orange tabby with purple eyes, looking like petals from a flower.

"Momma! Momma! I hid for longer this time," Birch bounced around happily, " I think I hit a record!"

The queen looked at her kitten jumping around happily. A small smile rising on her lips.

The Siamese Tom entered the den, smiling a bit towards Birch before turning his gaze towards The orange tabby.

"Petal, can I talk to you outside?" He asked. The mother nodded, turning back to Birch.

"Birch, sweetie, go ahead and eat what I left you near you're bed, okay?"

"Okay momma!" She mewed happily, heading over to her moss bed while the two cats went outside to talk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Birds chirped as sunshine shined inside the den. It was early morning, and the sun was rising above the horizon. Birch shifted in her bed, eyes slowly flickering open.

Her mind was calm and tired, but the kitten had slowly realized how the den was empty and no one was there. Birch's eyes widened but didn't stop to freak out.

"Momma? Daddy?" Birch called out nervously. After hearing nothing, Birch exited her family's den, concern pricking at her fur.

"Mom? Dad?" The kit called out again, looking at the forest around her. She was already small, but she started to feel tiny. She felt alone, she felt lost, she felt...... Scared.

Suddenly, she saw a flash of orange fur. Petal ran into the clearing, out of breath. Tears are falling from her soft, purple eyes.

"Momma!" Birch ran towards her mother, rubbing against her in a hug, "Are you okay? Where were you?"

Petal stayed silent, staying by her daughter's side. Birch liked it, staying by her mother's side. For some reason, she never did this, maybe she was distracted. However, she pulls away.

"Momma? Where's dad?" she asked, causing the queen to freeze. Tears watered up in her eyes again, looking away from Birch.

"W-well, he uh-- he le-left," Petal stuttered, her face full of pain. Birch stopped, keeping her eyes on her mother.

"Left? What do you mean?" She asked, concern in her voice.

Petal sighed, looking back into her daughter's eyes, finally more calm, "He..... Left us. He decided that he didn't feel at home here, so he decided to move on," the queen explained with no emotion.

Everything around Birch seemed to have stopped. Flame, her dad, meant everything to her, but he was gone. Birch didn't know how to react, but tears had formed in the corner of her once energetic, purple eyes.

'He left? Dad left?' The kit thought to herself, 'He said he would stay with me, why would he do this?...... was it.. me?' So many thoughts swirled around her mind while she was trying to focus.

"Oh, honey, it wasn't you," The queen assured, as if reading her daughter's mind, "He was so hesitant to leave because of you."

"Than why?!" Birch yelled, voice cracking as tears started streaming down her face, "Why did he leave when he knew he meant everything to me?!"

Petal looked at her daughter in shock, and Birch was a little surprised herself. She never yelled at her mother before, or anyone really. She just had so many emotions and thoughts going through her mind, it was all too much, she was just trying to focus on the situation.

"Well..," Petal hesitated a second before continuing, "He had found another queen to love."

There was a painful silence that filtered the air. It felt like needles were poking at both of their fur, threatening to go in.

After a few seconds, Petal looked back into her daughter's eyes, this time, full of love, "We're going to get through this," Petal reassured, " We'll be strong and live in this forest together."

Birch smiled as her thoughts echoed away. Petal was at the top of her thoughts, for the first time in a while. She was happy with her. Her father was always at the top of her mind, but now, she finally gets to discover who her mother is, and she's happy.

Why, You might ask? Because after a flame leaves the forest, the forest, scorched and burned, but grows to be strong once again.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Hello! This is the first story on here and it's actually a story I wrote for school. We had to wrote a story with an experience we've had, and we were able to make our own characters. This wasn't the one I twroteto school, I wrote that one 3 years ago, so I decided to revise it. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoy it!

-Holly