08

08
Mira

Left with a quickly beating heart, and a toilet that smelled of vomit.

Just how effortlessly he spoke, moved, and smiled. It made me feel excited and frivolous, which was a first for me. He carried a whole different and thrilling atmosphere along with him. It feels like going on an adventure even if I'm only going to the basketball court.

The lunch break was only twenty minutes away, which was ten minutes twice, which was four times five minutes. I wasn't sure if going to a basketball court would feel like a Beyblade battle arena or one of those gangster backstreets where kids do crack. Good thing I was familiar with his friend group. Back when I wasn't a social weirdo I was going out with some of them. Lev even flirted with me, as far as I could remember.

I walked down the massive staircases of our school and peeked through the widow to see if they were visible. The building was in a "U" shape but they hid around the left corner.

Walking out, a breeze flew right through my coat, making every bit of my body cold. Outside was a whole new atmosphere – quiet and peaceful, as opposed to inside where it was noisy, crowded, and sometimes chaotic.

Today was a misty day and one couldn't see anything past the tall wire fences of our school. The basketball court and the school playgrounds were pretty secluded – they had high bushes in front of our fence and no one could see us except the people who lived in the tall flat south of our school. Getting closer, I heard the sound of muffled voices around the corner.

I couldn't believe I was doing it. How awkward would I look like. I immediately imagined one of these drug dealers who approach you eerily and ask "Do you want some of the good stuff?"

"Hey, Mira!" Eva, a slightly chubby, blonde girl, stood up and flung her arms over me, "I haven't spoke with you since last year!"

Widening my eyes, I took a couple steps back from the impulse of her hug. I then put my arms gently around her back, and after a few moments I pulled out of her embrace, "Hey guys, long time no see."

"Yeah Mira, what happened with you?" Olya asked. Everybody referred to him by his last name, Belstoyev.

"Oh, I guess we just lost touch." I replied with the first thing that came to my mind.

"Well it's about time you hang out with us again." He concluded as his attention was drawn back to the game commencing in front of them.

Thankfully they weren't too big of a group, only two faces that were unfamiliar to me. Philip and Lev were in a game against Krum and Bogdan, all of them too concentrated to notice my arrival. I took a seat between Eva and Belstoyev on the cold cement.

"Kent." Lev stated as if it was no big deal.

"Bogdan, I swear–"

"What did I do now, you should stick with one sign per game!" Bogdan yelled at Krum, "Also hi, Mira."

I smiled as the attention was drawn to me once again.

"Hey Mira, glad you came." Philip spoke up. "Feel like playing?"

"Sure, who am I getting paired with?"

"Krum is a good player, you can try with him, Lev suggested."

"Oh please, yes! I'm sick of Bogdan's obliviousness." He threw his hands in the air, stretching his back, "Mira come with me so we can create our sign."

I stood up and left my handbag to Eva and Belstoyev.

"What's your experience with Kent-Coupe?" Krum asked as we went around the corner.