Part 2 (End)

Vikrant came home early today. It had been three weeks since he had come back and now more or less he has his own routine and understanding of business. Rana's owned vast amounts of land which they rented out for agricultural purposes, owned three textile mills and two heritage hotels in partnership with Shekhawats as well. Then his father had started a charitable trust in the name of Late Virat Rana, which needed looking after too. Vikrant had decided to work out of an office which he had set up at one of their hotels. Today was a slow day with not much work to do, so he had headed home earlier than usual.

As he entered his room he found Tara arranging his wardrobe. Taken aback, that was what he was at the sight. His clothes and everything else was well taken care of but he assumed servants were doing it. He had no idea Tara herself took care of his stuff. And he disliked the fact immediately. She must be doing it as a part of her duty as the daughter-in-law of the house or Maa sa must have forced her to do it. Shekhawat princess would not go around folding laundry and that too in a house full of servants. Especially for him. She had been tip-toeing around him for the entire time he was here. Not talking to him unless they were in front of Maa sa or Baapu sa. Even then she kept it minimal. He sometimes wondered if they would spend their whole lives like this. Would they? Could they?

'Leave it. I'll do it. Where is Bhairo Singh? Isn't he supposed to do all this work?' he moved and took the stack of clothes from her hand.

'Y...you? When did you come?' she was caught unawares.

'Just now,' he gave a curt reply as he took over what she was doing.

'I'll do it... properly,' she stretched her hands to take the stack back. She liked doing all this for him now.

'No need. Why bother about the clothes when you don't bother about their owner? Go,' he spat. The anguish pent up inside, itching to come out since long, found words at last.

'Why are you talking like this?' she spoke hurt.

'Of course. I forgot me opening my mouth and saying what I feel disgusts you.  My bad. Sorry,' his jaw clenched.

'Vikrant,' she gasped.

'Oh so you remember my name,' he threw the rest of the stack on the bed nearby and turned towards her.

'You...you are...my...husband Vikrant,' she stammered.

'You remember that too. WOW!' he mocked in anger.

'Please Vikrant,' she pleaded not knowing what she was pleading for.

'Vikrant JI. Like wives call their husbands in this house. LIKE you addressed bhai. Remember?' he pointedly reminded.

'You are... younger to me Vikrant,' she mumbled embarrassed.

'Oh how can we forget THAT?' his eyes were spitting fire. 'Isn't that the reason why my love was so disgustingly unacceptable to you? Because I am younger to you. GUESS WHAT? You're stuck with this younger man as your husband for life!' he grabbed her arm to drive his point home.

'I was betrothed to your brother when you said you love me,' she countered pained.

'Did I ask you to leave bhai? Did I ask you to marry me? NO. I did not even come to you. It was YOU who came into my room behind my back. It was YOU who read my diary without my permission. It was YOU who brought the topic up and it was YOU who had slapped me,' he bellowed before pushing her away and leaving the room in a huff.