01

❝ Through the Fire ❞ ➵ 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐈
[ o n e ]

» » » »
{ I V Y }

I RAN THROUGH the rolling hills, the wind tosling my dark brown hair around. My face and skin seemed to soak up the golden rays of light, as the rising sun created a painting across the sky. The sky was lit up in shades of orange and pink, with a dusting of blue. I was at peace.

I had been out all morning neglecting my early responsibilities, as today was too beautiful of a day to work, though there's not much work to be done in the shire. The shire, my home, or the only home I've ever known. Green rolling hills as far as the eye can see, freshly tilled earth, and patches of flower fields. It's peaceful and always seems to be bubbling with life, and the merry lives of those who inhabit these lands. The hobbits. They are some of the most interesting folk in middle earth. They love their food, and ales, yet they have a knack for the care of nature and the earth. This life is all I could ever ask for, yet it never seems to be enough.

I was taken in by Bilbo Baggins at a very young age, dropped off right at the door of Bag End. I knew something terrible had happened to my mother, but neither bilbo or I have never known the full truth. We knew that my father was a dwarf who traveled through Bree, but we never knew or bothered to learn anymore about him, other than the fact he was an excellent fighter, as we don't think he ever knew I existed. Because of this Bilbo had become the closest thing to a family I had ever had, an uncle of sorts, and I am extremely grateful.

While running home I receive strange looks from a couple of my fellow neighbors. I had never been considered normal. I for the most part looked like that of a hobbit. A mere four feet with a petite build, and pointed ears, slightly larger than that of an elves. Yet my feet did not resemble that of a hobbits. For the most part they were normal, while slightly larger, they had no hair or particularly thick skin. Yet that has never stopped me from running barefoot. I have dark brown wavy, hair which I have been told resembled that of my mother's, however I have brown eyes, speckled with gold, unlike any in the shire.

I made my way to the back of bag end and over the top to try to spook Bilbo, he's usually outside smoking his pipe weed at this time, but this time he wasn't alone. There was a very tall man standing across from him, and if I were to describe him in one word it would be grey. Grey cloak, grey hat, and grey hair. But he had piercingly blue eyes.

"Good morning...?" Bilbo seemed slightly startled by his sudden presence.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or, perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning. Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" The strange man responded, his eyes almost dancing with enjoyment.

"All of them at once, I suppose," and at this I have a silent giggle to bilbos response and bewildered expression, not wanting my presence to be known. Bilbo seemed to come back to his senses, "can I help you?"

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure," however he wasn't just looking at Bilbo he also looked up at me, with a knowing look in his eyes. The thought of an adventure made my stomach bubble with excitement, I had always wanted to leave the shire and explore middle earth. Because of this I had taken up a hobby of archery, which I've had to keep a secret from Bilbo. But how had this old man seemed to know this?

"An adventure? Now, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner, mhm," with that Bilbo got up, checked his mailbox, and started to make his way back to the front door. Bilbo turned on his heel as to say one last remark, and I took that as a sign to make my presence known. I jumped off the roof landing next to Bilbo as he let out a yelp of fright.

"Ivy Baggins! Do not do that!" I was bellowing with laughter at this point. Bilbo grabbed my hand to drag me back inside the house, but he stopped and turned around to face the strange grey man, "Good morning."

"To think that I should have lived to be good­morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door."

"Beg your pardon?"

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins." This encounter is getting stranger and stranger as this man seems to know exactly who the both of us are, yet we have no idea who he is.

Bilbo seemed to have the same thought, "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"Well, you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf! And Gandalf means ... me."

That was when it clicked, "Gandalf the Grey! You used to make amazing fireworks!" I exclaimed.

"Oh yes, I had no idea you were still in business," Bilbo added on, however this is a wizard and I'm sure he does much more than that.

Gandalf seemed to agree with my thoughts as his responded, "Well, I'm pleased to find your remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks. Well that's decided. It will be very good for you, and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others."

"Oh my, an adventure sounds exciting!" I almost couldn't contain myself, this is what I am always wanted.

Bilbo on the other hand did not agree, "Inform the who? What? No. No. No! Wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you. Not today, not­-. I suggest you try over the Hill or across the Water. Good morning." With that he grabbed my arm and dragged me inside. He quickly locked the door and leaned against it.

"What is so bad about an adventure?" I voiced only to be abruptly silenced. Bilbo leaned into the door to listen to a scratching sound. Confused he proceeded to lookout the window, but Gandalf's face popped up, scaring both Bilbo and I. We jumped back, Bilbo into the door frame and I into the door, only peaking out the window when I was sure he was gone.

"I don't understand why you're so against an adventure, I am rather excited," with that I turned on my heel and went into the kitchen. I sure do hope Gandalf informs the others.

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy this story as I've enjoyed writing it so far. Please vote and comment, I will work on getting another update out soon!!
♥️♥️♥️