Chapter twenty

Sorry, this is quite long but try and stick at it :') This is kind of the start of the end and there aren't going to be many chapters left after this, thank you SO much for your support, always makes me smile.

If anyone fancies doing me a massive favour, I'm currently last place in a (popularity) writing competition and I'd at least like to be a respectable second to last haha. If any of you can spare the time, all you have to do is download a free Ether app, type Lauren Osborne into the search bar and download the story for free. It'd be a massive help and less embarrassing than being last so thank you if you do.

Hope you enjoy. :)

_____________________________________________________________________________

They noticed straight away my forced walk as I tried to stay upright, clenching my teeth with the strain of moving. My leg could wait though, something was happening and I knew I should have trusted my gut instincts yesterday when I saw how worried Percy looked, when he said he had something to tell us.

'Wait, stop'. Keith held firm onto my shoulders and lowered me to the ground, ignoring my scowl and pleas to just forget about it.

'No, you can barely walk! The pain relief must have worn off, I told them to do something better than give you some shitty liquid drug' he rubbed a hand over his tired eyes, looking sympathetic and frankly, stressed, 'Does it hurt a lot?'

'It's fine' I lied, 'Just an ache. Percy, where are we going?'

'I-I' he began to stutter, holding his eyes closed for several seconds, 'Maybe you should wait up here, Harley, I don't know if this was a good idea anyway, you know, people always say I'm book smart but I'm not people smart and I always do the wrong thing and...'

'Dude' Keith dropped a hand on Percy's shoulder, 'Stop, it's okay. We don't keep things from each other, the second one of us is in the know and the next person isn't, that's when people start to die. You did the right thing'.

'I should've done the right thing yesterday' he fretted.

'You didn't know yesterday'.

'I had an idea! I should've trusted myself, I should've-'

'Percy!'

'For god sake!' I cut in, 'You two! Will you tell me what's happening? You just said it yourself, ignorance gets people killed and if this is something I should know, then I want to'.

'We'll sort out your leg first, alright?' Keith clenched his teeth, 'Percy, there's first aid in the room, we're doing this all wrong. I need to go talk to them first, before we all go charging in'. Now I could see what I should've seen before, his white knuckles as he clenched his fists so tightly, the way his temple was throbbing, his eyes alight - he was completely furious and he was trying to hide it for my sake.

'Keith' I said softly, bringing a hand up to his face from my position of the floor, tracing his cheek, neck collarbone, 'Please. Please tell me, you're scaring me'.

'I'm sorry' his voice was unsteady, 'I'm sorry Harley but I just don't know... someone needs to get downstairs now and right now, you don't want to be doing that. I'm gonna come back up as soon as I can, okay?'

'Keith...'

'He's right, we're being stupid' Percy said, standing upright and seeming to take a collecting breath, 'Keith, maybe if you go downstairs and talk to them, they're not planning on doing anything till tomorrow so we have time to talk sense into them. Harley, you and me are going to have a girly nail painting session or something in your room, I'm sure they have something here' his voice wobbled as he spoke and I knew a girly nail painting session wasn't at the top of his mind.