PART 29: Obstruction

...

For the most part, my Tuesday afternoon was spent in the library. Addie and Elise were chatting about a film they had watched in the movie theatre the previous Saturday, and Elise went on and on about how attractive the main character was—right in front of Niall's face. She was talking about how his—sexy—facial hair made her lose focus of the entire movie.

Adeline, on the other hand, seemed to have opened her interest for the boy across the table.

Because who didn't like pretty boy?

It was strange—seeing how they were all starting to connect with each other. Niall and Elise had their fucked-up bond, and now Adeline and Caleb were at it as well. As pretty boy was the reserved type, it was too early to tell if he had the same feelings about her. He had at least stopped talking about bath-tub girl, which was a plus, in Adeline's case.

So, magically, all my friends were moulding together in mushy-pushy, lovey-dovey foursome.

And I was just watching.

Feeling absolutely knackered after listening to Elise's celebrity rant and observing Niall's depressed glares, I picked up my cellphone to turn to the person who in that moment seemed to be the only one who could put me in a reasonably good mood. After seeing his name on the display I instantly remembered the conversation I had with Niall the same morning.

I sighed.

ME: I think we need to talk.

He didn't reply for ten whole minutes, which was uncommon when it came to us. When I texted him he would normally reply straight away—regardless if he was busy or not.

ME: Hello?

HARRY: Sorry. I can't see you right now.

ME: Why? Did something happen?

HARRY: I'm busy. It's about Liam. I'll call you when I'm not tied up.

And so everything sunk into place. Almost. Whatever Liam had been going through that night was actually serious and needed to be taken care of. The reason I knew how severe this seemed to be was because Harry usually cancelled everything to be with me—but this time Liam got a free pass, and I was curious to know why.

ME: Oh! I hope everything is okay.

Unfortunately I never got a reply to that text. Instead, seven hours passed and he called me up, sounding less cheery than I had ever heard him be. He asked me what I had needed him for, and I asked him to come over to my dorm. So he did, and Niall exited through the door quicker than a bee stung jeopard. Supposedly, he went over to Caleb's place.

Once Harry was sat on my bed I could already see the pain in his eyes, but I decided not to be intrusive and ask him about it. Instead I crawled up to him (in my boxers), wrapped my arms around his torso and tried to pull him down into the mattress, only to then make him whine in complaint. I continued pulling his arms, legs and body until he finally cracked a smile and crawled on top of me, pecked my nose and gazed into my eyes.