Chapter 42 ~ Dangerous Demeanors

I hope everyone's had a great week!! I think... We're getting there. 

Here we go~ 

***************** 

Rin groaned as she saw the village gates. 

"You seem a little unenthusiastic to get back, Rin," Obito commented. 

"Ahh, well..." She had not told him how Kakashi and Minato had actually poked a hole into her heart. Well, almost. And she especially avoided talking about Sasori. There was no way she was jeopardizing her chances of keeping the Uchiha calm and not exploding with murderous intent. 

But Obito knew about the afterlife. He knew about the Akatsuki. 

"You'll keep my secret, right?" 

"Of course." He assumed that her secret was everything he had witnessed in the past few days. 

Obito regarded her timidly. 

"If you don't even want to go back, why did you leave?" 

The question surprised the medic. 

Did she... not want to return to Konohagakure? 

"No," Rin decided. "I do want to go back. I'm just unsure of how to feel about some things." 

Her companion sighed. 

"Do you want to get back into Team Minato?" he asked. 

"I think that was our original plan, wasn't it?" 

"Yeah. Maybe." 

"If they let us through the gate at all, that is." Rin leapt back as kunai rained in her direction. 

"You dared to come to Konoha...?" Kakashi's steely voice growled. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Obito looked up, shocked. 

Kakashi was trying to kill Rin. Again. 

He lost it. 

A second later, the silver-haired ninja was pinned down by his old teammate, a kunai held against his neck. 

"And this would be the second time you aimed to kill Rin, buddy," he growled into the Hatake's ear. "Don't you feel even a slither of remorse?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

He was strong. 

He was Obito. 

And he was about to kill him. 

A million thoughts rushed through Kakashi's head, even as he struggled against the hopeless lock that Obito had forced him into. 

Obito...? 

But that could not be. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Rin shouted in warning to Obito as she sensed another presence. She knew he would not be able to defend himself against the new foe, so she jumped in to help. 

A second later, she engaged her former teacher in battle. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

They had finally figured it out. The four sat together at Ichiraku's Ramen, slurping away at a nostalgic memory. 

"If you weren't the enemy, you could have just said so," Kakashi grumbled. Obito fumed. 

"Not with you shooting the entire village's supply of kunai at Rin, we couldn't!"