Chapter 4

Klaus doesn't speak about it. He doesn't speak about the way she'd been quiet the whole ride, or the way she looked out the window sadly, or the way she kept her head down while they were walking up to the motel room. Not even about how she immediately sat down on the bed, resting her head in her hands.

"It's only eleven at night," Klaus states, unsure of what else to say. Caroline nods, her eyes meeting his for a moment. She's been crying.

"Are you okay?" he finally asks, sitting down next to her. He doesn't even think about it when resting his hand on her shoulder.

"I'm fine," she shakes her head, tears falling from her eyes, clearly showing she isn't fine.

"Is this about your boyfriend? Tyler, was it?"

She frowns at the thought of him. Obviously it's about him. He cheated on her. How does someone get over that?

"I just don't get it. How could he cheat? I thought we were fine," Caroline wipes her tears, heaving out a sigh. It's all so much to deal with.

"He doesn't deserve your tears, you know. We may have only met a little while ago, but I can tell you are different. You're beautiful and kind, nothing like someone who would cheat. He should be ashamed."

Caroline shivers, looking Klaus in the eye as a blush tints her cheeks.

"I'm going to call him," she finally decides, knowing deep down Tyler and her are over.

"Would you like some space?"

"I'll leave, you can stay," she selflessly suggests, already getting up and exiting the room before Klaus can protest.

Caroline closes the door behind her, taking in the warm night air of June. With a sigh, she dials Tyler's number and calls him. It takes two rings before he picks up.

"Caroline?" his voice is shaky and sounds like he's been crying.

"I need to talk to you," she keeps her voice stern, not wanting to give in. Their relationship isn't healthy, it needs to end.

"Before you say anything, I just need to apologize. Caroline, I am so, so sorry. You don't deserve this, and I don't deserve you. I know you won't forgive me, and I'm not expecting you to, but I just need to say how much I love you and how sorry I am. I never wanted to hurt you. I will forever regret my actions," Tyler sobs, his voice breaking midway.

Her heart breaks as tears fall down her cheeks. She wants to forgive him, to act like nothing ever happened- but she can't.

"You cheated on me, Ty. How could you ever do that to me? I loved you. Did you just not love me back? Was I not good enough for you?"

"Caroline, stop. I did love you, I do love you. I always will. I made a mistake and now I have to deal with that. I was stupid and reckless and-"

"I'm sorry Tyler, but I just can't forgive you. I don't know if I ever can."

"I'm sorry, Caroline."

She shakes her head, wiping away her tears.

"It's over, Ty. Us, we're over."

She can hear his cries from the other line, and she tries everything not to take it back. This is for the better, she reminds herself numerous times.

"Please, Caroline. Don't leave me," he begs, his voice sounding like a scared boy.

"I'll be back in the morning to get my stuff."