Chapter 1

It was a beautiful and sunny day. If not for the frosty wind, everyone would think this day was a pleasant Spring day. The sunlit scenery could still fool anyone indoor into believing that it was indeed Spring. But it wasn't. It was a cold day in mid January. Even with the sunlight, it was cold. The wind was crisped with icy stings.

Lady Regina Gillian's silhouette rise radiantly among the tombstones on this cloudless afternoon. Her lustrous chestnut hair, tied up in an unfashionable knot upon her head, glew like black embers when touched by the sunlight. Her black dress flow gently with the wind, given Regina an almost ominous appearance. She had her head down, staring unseeingly at the tombstones in front of her. 

The needle-like breeze jabbed at Regina's cheeks. Her ears numbed from the frost. Her hands and feet stiffened from under the thin layer of clothing. But she refused to hide from the cold. It was not unpleasant. It was not too cold for her. In fact, Regina liked the chilled weather today. It's perfect for her condition. This cold rage that's been building inside since she set foot back on England. It seem to intensified the longer she stood there. It kept on building until Regina could not discerned if she was chilled from the wind or from her own rage.

Regina stared at the graves that were her family. The dominating tombstone in the middle stood firmly, almost proudly if such word could be used to describe tombstones. Victor Edward Gillian, Viscount of Fremont, 13 April 1787-15 January 1850, it read. Regina's father.

To the right, in a freshly made grave, laid her mother. Elizabeth Somersault, Viscountess of Fremont. And on the other side, to the left of her father's grave, was a few months old grave containing Lady Lily Gillian, her half-sister. All three graves were well kept although Regina knew no one visited the site since her mother's passing.

She's been gone for all but five years and in those five years, she'd lost all her beloves. Her father passed because of ailing healths. That, Regina could do nothing but let the good Lord takes him into His embraces. She was glad to hear that Papa went without much sufferings. He died in his sleep.

What Regina could not comprehended but be angry was the deaths of Mama and her dear sister, Lily. Mama died from heartaches. That's what everyone told her. Mama misses Papa too much that after his passing, she took to her bed. She wouldn't eat or drink for days. She was pained much during her last days on this earth.

Regina was angry at her mother for being so weak that she'd succumbed to love. Regina would never surrender her life because of something as fleeting as love. She don't believe she's capable of loving another person enough to not be able to survive without him. She's learned to be a selfish person. That, Regina was glad she's learned quick and early.

Regina was most distressed about Lily's unjust circumstances. Her beautiful sister still had such a long life ahead of her. She hadn't even had her debut. If not for the scoundrel who'd broken her heart, Lily would've thrived among London's society. Her sister doesn't deserved the awful fate handed to her. Regina would see to it that the man paid for his sin.

Lily should've learn that not one man on this earth is faithful. Men's royalties are to themselves. They seek pleasures where they can, not caring about the persons they'd hurt along the way. Not even Papa. Although Mama loved him with all her heart, Papa was an insincere person. He'd had many mistresses in his married life. He'd laid with other married women as well. Papa even impregnated one of his mistress. That's why Regina have a sister. But Regina didn't hate Lily. She was innocent in her father's treacheries. Lily was her sister in all senses, her best friend. She loved her sister dearly. She just wished she was here to protect Lily.

"The carriage is ready, my lady," Thomas, Regina's coachman, said.

"Thank you, Thomas," Regina whispered without looking at him. Her eyes were fixed on Lily's headstone. Regina let a silent tear drifted down her cheek.