Something New

Four Years Previously

Mike and Katie began to follow after Mali slowly. I don't know how Mike was holding both my son and the pillow with the rings on it but he was doing a really good job. When he got up to the alter, he would place the pillow on this little pedestal so I wasn't worried about him dropping either the rings or my son in the short walk up the aisle. Jake and Ella were next, linked arm in arm as they moved down the aisle together and the rest of the bridal party slowly followed after them. I was beginning to hyperventilate a little. I couldn't really see Calum over all the other heads in the room but I know he was going to just look dashing in his suit. I couldn't wait to see him.

My dad pulls on my arm and my heart picks up speed. We're walking already. This is happening. I'm getting married. My mother's words ring in my ear. She's telling me to smile and while I laughed a lot during the rehearsal, I didn't smile as I walked down the aisle with my dad during dress rehearsal. This time though, I can't help myself. Everyone I love is here. I'm getting married to the man of my dreams and we have a beautiful baby together.

I finally lock eyes with Calum. He's lost his composure looking at me. His hand is over his mouth as he stares at me in awe and his eyes look a little misty. Is he going to cry? That's beautiful but... I'm so going to make fun of him later. I couldn't help myself, I laughed a little and looked down towards the aisle as my dad patted my arm. "I had the same look on my face when I married your mother." He tells me. My heart feels like it's going to soar out of my chest. I love my parents more than anything and I was really worried they wouldn't approve of Calum and I when we first started dating but... It was quite the opposite.

"I've hated all your other boyfriends." My dad told me once. "That's why I always tried to put the fear of god in them." My Mom had laughed and nudged my dad lightly. "At least we know Calum and know what he's like. I never really wanted to get to know your other boyfriends."

"Except Drew." My Mom intervenes. "Oh Drew was such a nice boy." My dad nods a little. He probably doesn't remember Drew all too well. We only dated for a month or so.

"Yeah, Yeah, yeah." My brother interjected. "Calum's a gift to the universe someone please pass the salt."

Only five more steps until I'm at the alter. Calum isn't crying but that's only because he's trying his damndest not to. Carter looks like he's fallen asleep in Mike's arms in the short time it took the procession to walk down the aisle and I'm a little relieved. He won't start blubbering and reaching for Calum and I during the ceremony. Hopefully he wakes up quietly too. We pause at the steps and I turn to face my dad who kisses my forehead through my veil before placing my hand in Calum's outstretched one.

"Hello beautiful." He murmurs to me.

"Just lift my dumb veil." I reply with the sweetest smile on my face. Calum tries not to laugh as he does just that. Then together, the two of us face the priest.

I didn't really want to get married in a church. I would've been fine with having a wedding in Calum's backyard like his mom had suggested but when we compiled the guest list... We wanted to invite more people than could actually fit in their backyard and so we opted for a church setting instead. My parents are more religious than I am. I stopped going to church once I got to college and Calum hasn't gone since sophomore year of high school so I was worried the priest wouldn't want to officiate our wedding. My parents know him really well though, which is why we're getting hitched in our hometown. I actually slept in my bedroom for the first time in a year. It was weird.

The service was beautiful but boring. It was a lot of standing, reciting, listening, mostly on the priests part. I forgot what church was like. Reading, praying, kneeling. It was a little tedious. Carter woke up just before our vows. Lance was now cradling him in his arms and when he woke, he made a small sound that caused everyone at the alter to look over at him. I had to fight the urge to go lift him out of Lance's arms.