A night at the Annex

He was alone in the Annex, enjoying the quiet and more importantly the silence. Four Librarians and one Guardian were a little too much for him to cope with at times. He, who was accustomed to the loneliness of his task, had seen the intrusion as a violent earthquake that shook his life and habits. As a result, he enjoyed even more those rare moments when everyone was out. He sometimes hoped that they would decide to settle somewhere else and not come back. This was probably too much to ask. They considered the Annex as their new home and even if he hated to admit it, he was starting to grow fond of the small group.

"Is everything alright, Jenkins?"

The caretaker startled and quickly turned around, spilling some of the tea from his cup in the process.

Eve Baird, the Guardian, smiled at him:

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"If you say so," mumbled the caretaker. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to assist the Librarian catching whatever item he is hunting down?"

The Guardian didn't seem to take notice of the sharp tone.

"He is right behind me. We had to postpone our little expedition. Something has come up. Haven't you been notified?"

She looked at the big table. The clipping book was closed. Everything appeared to be normal, as if nothing of importance was happening.

"I'm only the caretaker. When no one is home, nothing pops up. Why should it? It's not like I could do anything about it anyway."

Eve was about to reply when Flynn made his entrance. He clapped in his hands and the room was lighted instantly.

"I never get tired of this!" He exclaimed happily before noticing Jenkins: "How nice of you to welcome me with a cup of tea!"

The caretaker never got a chance to protest. The Librarian was already in front of him. His next move was to take the cup from Jenkins' hand and to drink from it.

"What is this awful taste?" He immediately complained, his face expressing his distaste for the beverage.

"It's my own recipe. It helps me sleep well..."

"Just take it back, it's disgusting," decided Carsen, returning the cup to its owner.

He then saw the closed book and frowned:

"Why is the table empty? And why isn't the clipping book open?"

"We were just discussing it when you showed up," explained Eve. "Jenkins was telling me that it doesn't react when no Librarian is around."

"Nonsense! It always reacts. Always! Unless..."

Flynn casted a glance at the caretaker who didn't flinch.

"You and I need to have a conversation," said the Librarian very seriously.

"Not tonight. I'm off to bed and you two have a case to work on," replied Jenkins dismissively. "Goodnight Colonel Baird. Goodnight Flynn."

He briskly left the room, leaving the couple alone.

"What was that all about?" asked the Guardian.

"I'm not too sure...yet," admitted the Librarian.

He then opened the book at random. Newspapers clips were covering the page he landed on. They all had the same topic: the theft of two priceless Celtic flagons from the British Museum in London.