V

"Change of plans"

April 11, 2019

As promised, Dean was waiting for Castiel in front of the entrance of the enormous building carrying the words 'Novak Industries'. He had shamelessly whistled once he had arrived, as he had never seen the building up close; only from a distance when he had spied on the man.

He was leaning against the wall opposite of the entrance with his right knee lifted, his foot resting against the wall. He impatiently waited for the accountant to step out. Once he did, Dean pushed his foot against the wall, forcing him forwards. He slowly walked forwards after waving at the man. His hands were throbbing underneath the bandages and the gloves he used to cover them. His wrist was itching, which caused shame to rise once again. He tried not to show his pain, because he was done being vulnerable.

"Hey, Cas," Dean said, a small smile playing on his lips when the man stopped in front of him awkwardly. Now that his plan had suddenly changed, Dean no longer had to pretend to like Castiel and there was no need to stuff back possible existing feelings, but he couldn't help himself. He leaned forwards and kissed the man's cheek. Color rushed to the man's cheeks and Dean figured that his own would definitely be matching. Damn it, Dean. No vulnerability, remember.

"Hello, Dean," Castiel replied, smiling softly as well. "How have you been? You know, after Sunday."

"I'm as good as I can be," Dean replied, his once genuine smile turning in a short forced one. Castiel seemed to notice this and looked at him with a confused look on his face. In the meantime, they had started to walk towards the small coffee shop across the road. "Anyways, how about you?"

       "Work's hectic, but other than that, I'm good," the man replied, subconsciously nodding to confirm what he just said. Dean looked at the man as they were walking down the street, curiosity and nervousness creeping up inside him. Castiel looked so innocent. Would it even be a good idea to make him a part of this? How would he even react?

"Are you sure you're OK? And please don't lie to me." Castiel asked, catching him off guard.

"I'll explain it later," Dean said, internally screaming when Castiel eyed him worriedly. That was exactly what he was trying to avoid. He stuffed his gloved hands inside the pockets of his jacket, as if he hoped that the action would completely fade the injuries and shame of the day before.

They took a seat in the back of the coffee shop on Dean's request. He didn't want Lucifer's hounds to overhear them. Dean ordered a cup of coffee, while Castiel ordered a bottle of water. Once their drinks had arrived a minute after, and they had ordered - Castiel a simple sandwich and Dean a burger -, Dean retrieved his phone from the inside of his jacket and unlocked it. He scanned the room thoroughly, using mirrors and windows to include the tables behind him.