C7: Pillow Barrier

Wow. I'd read a lot about Paris, and seen lots of pictures, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. The minute we stepped out of the plane, I almost got run over by a large suitcase. 

I let out a yelp and a hand pushed me out of harms way. Amused violet eyes looked down at me. "Careful, majesty, some of these French are ruthless." 

A surprised laugh came out of my mouth and I slapped a hand over it. "Did you just almost-kind- of make a joke?" I looked at him, my eyes wide with shock. 

He play frowned. "Don't look so shocked. I can be a funny guy if I want to." 

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. He mimicked me and I stared at him. "Who are you and what did you do with Phoenix-"

I paused, realizing I didn't even know his full name. "What's your last name?" I asked, my gaze searching his. 

"Lansel."

"-Who are you and what have you done with Phoenix Lansel?" I demanded, my hands propped on my hips. 

He laughed, shoulders shaking. "It's still me. The real Phoenix." He smiled, and I shook my head at him before realizing what I was doing. We were bantering like some old married couple, even though I had successfully managed to give him the cold shoulder for 4 hours, not that I was keeping track or anything. 

I suddenly dropped my gaze from his and picked up my suitcase, my strength allowing me to do so with ease. "Where we headed now?" 

Phoenix glanced at his watch and then took his phone out of his pocket. "Our driver should be here any minute."

While we waited, we walked over to a small cafe and set out luggage down by a small table. I sat in one of the chairs and watched as he ordered two caramel mochas with whipped cream and chocolate syrup. 

I narrowed my eyes when I saw girls of various ages eyeing him up and down quite obviously. Even some mothers did it with their husbands right next to them. I don't know what came over me, but I just had to show everybody he was mine: all mine, nobody else's. 

I put my luggage on our chairs to save our spot and walked up to Phoenix from behind, wrapping my arms around his waist. He was still talking to the guy receiving orders, but he took my arms away from his waist and instead moved me so I was in front of him, his arms looped around my shoulders and hands folded in front of my stomach. 

The cashier nodded as soon as Phoenix stopped talking, signaling he got the order. 

As if Phoenix knew why I was there, he placed a swift kiss on my temple and moved with me to our seats. I pulled away from him as soon as he moved his suitcase from off his seat, but he grabbed me from my waist and sat me on his lap. "Where do you think you're going?" He murmured in my ear, and I looked around uncomfortably. 

"Um, back to my seat?" I whispered back, conscious of the eyes on us. 

"Why are you so self conscious about sharing a seat? Just a minute ago you went up to me and gave me a hug from behind, and even let me kiss you on the side of the head."

He had a point, but I simply shrugged. "Those girls were looking at you." 

"Which girls?" Phoenix asked, voice low.

I frowned. "All of them." 

He burst out laughing and I jumped, startled. Everyone looked away and I found myself smiling despite myself. As I looked at him, I knew then my first impression of him was wrong. Rumors were the worst, especially when all they did was destroy the reputation of the one the rumors were about. But that meant I had to try even harder to stay away and build a wall between us. If he was super nice and sweet, I couldn't risk him being hurt because of me. I would never forgive myself.