7 - Petal of a flower

Harry has been acting weird. Weird to the point of Louis looking at him and see a seven years old Harry. So he’s been looking sadder than the usual and it’s been a while since Louis doesn’t make him laugh like he used to be able to do. And there are days when Harry needs to tell Louis that he wants to be alone. Again. Louis thought those times had become to an end but apparently they came back.

Of course Louis thought at first that this was the result of their conversation about Harry putting the option about liking boys. But Harry was okay in the morning. And the day after that. And the week afterwards. And even the month later on. But from a day to another he changed completely and Louis started to feel worried.

He still is worried. Now more than ever. For what it seems the hopes he had about Harry opening himself a bit more to him didn’t pass by it. Hopes. Harry doesn’t talk with Louis. Louis asked him twice what was happening and Harry basically ignored him. Louis knows he simply doesn’t want to talk and for much it costs to Louis, he needs to respect it.

But it’s hard. Too hard. Especially when he sees Harry faking, sees him trying his best to look okay so Louis doesn’t need to ask him what’s wrong so he replies the same old thing. It breaks his heart watching the beautiful boy giving him a smile and at the moment he looks away from Louis’ face it just drops. The way the comfortable silence turned to be the type of silence that makes Louis concerned. How Harry’s green eyes don’t shine so often especially because he hasn’t sleep well.

“Don’t you think it’s enough of study for today?” Louis asks looking at Harry who is in his desk while he is sat on Harry’s bed. Harry is probably stressed so Louis thinks he needs to rest and not study this hard like he does.

“You say that every day.” Harry says not looking back at him. He studied a bit as well. Probably fifteen minutes, it’s enough for him. He doesn’t like to study but he knows if it wasn’t for these study sessions with Harry he’d fail the year.

“Yeah but this time I’m saying this for your own good.” He mostly says it because he’s bored and can’t stand looking at Harry with his books while he’s looking at the walls. He doesn’t come at Harry’s house often but he knows all the details from Harry’s walls by now. Also, he probably eats all the food Harry has in the kitchen by how many times Barbara comes to his room bringing him snacks.

“How so?” Harry finally looks at Louis

“You look tired.” You look sad, Louis wants to say but it wouldn’t make sense.

“I’m not.” But Harry hears the words Louis wanted to say, so he answers at them instead as if he’d read his mind. Louis believes he does it sometimes.

“Okay.” Louis sighs and lays down on Harry’s bed “But can you lay down next to me for a bit now?”

There is silence for a moment and then he listens to Harry walking towards him. The bed moves and Harry’s presence next to Louis is warm and welcome. Familiar too. Louis looks at the curly haired boy – he definitely has curls now – and smiles just because he’s close to him.

“Thank you.” He whispers and doesn’t need Harry’s response. He wouldn’t get it anyway.

“Martin was expelled from school again.” Louis starts after some good long ten minutes with just the two of them enjoying the silence, – or the sound of their breathing – Harry is still looking up at the ceiling and Louis admires his features. It turns out not to be weird for Louis – and Harry doesn’t feel uncomfortable anymore – it’s just natural. “This time was because he got too nervous and threw the table around, shouting.” Harry doesn’t make signals that he’s actually listening to Louis. Somehow Louis knows he is but also knows that he’s not going to say anything. But it’s okay. He’s talking and Harry is listening to him and that’s what he needs. He likes it above everything “I thought he was going to hit me with the chair when I told him to calm down. He has problems. The teacher only told him to shut up and to try for the first time this period to pay attention. He doesn’t like when people draw him attention.” Harry hums just to make Louis sure he is listening “He’s too violent. I think it’s because he has problems at home with his parents. Don’t really know what kind of problems are. Hope it gets better for him because the way he behaves isn’t right.”