Prologue

Brilliant colours leaked through the small window high up on the brick wall, colours that I can only ever see once a day. Oranges and pinks and purples and yellows coloured my otherwise grey room and I moved as far away as possible to try and see anything out the small rectangle. Outside it I could see...

Nothing. Like always. Nothing but the stone that it was made from. It was proof of how thick the wall was, how long the sill of the window would be. It was a symbol of my imprisonment, my loss of freedom. It was proof that I was a monster. 

"Here's ya dinner, brat," a voice called out from the other side of the sealed wooden door. A small hatch at the bottom of the door opened and a grey plate covered with grey sludge was slid into the room. I eyed it with distaste but picked it up anyway. I had to keep my strength up, had to keep my magic at the highest power I could, so that the moment they opened the door, I could blast them and get the hell out of here. 

I hadn't always lived in this dungeon cell. Once upon a time, I was someone in this magical world. I was the youngest daughter of the Lord and Lady of the Phoenix family. It all started with an accidental adventure, a few new acquaintances, and a legendary staff...