Chapter Two

Father had always told us that the world outside the walls was a dangerous place. It was supposed to be filled with villains and monsters, but as I slowed in the mid-afternoon sun I realised I hadn't seen a single monster. I had seen birds and bugs. I had even spotted a small rabbit hopping into some bushes as I sped past. I had always imagined that every few meters of the outside world would be plagued with monsters that would try to eat me or steal my soul. But there hadn't even been the slightest sight of them, even after all the hours of running.

The air so far had smelt of pine and grass and earth. But as I started to slow down, the smell of mud and blood and rotten food plagued the air. A smell of which I had never thought I could smell all at once. It was horrifying, and I was scared of what could create such a smell. In my head I saw horrifying monsters with sharp teeth that dripped with flesh and blood, of claws so long that they ripped roots from the ground.

I stumbled to a stop when the smell got stronger. I was frozen either from fear or because I was so very tired. The moment I stopped I realised just how long I had been running full-speed. My calves burned, and my chest heaved from lack of air. I had used so much energy that I was confused at how I was still standing.

Looking around at the thinning trees and the green grass and the many flowers, it struck me just how beautiful this outside world was. Sure, the structured garden beds of my family home were beautiful in their own way, but this place had a wild beauty about it. Something I had only seen in paintings and drawings. I wondered if Niyx had a chance to stop and see the beauty before she rode right back into a house surrounded by walls. She would had loved it.

The grass looked so soft, and the sunlight streaming in from the gaps of the trees warmed my skin. Even with the heavy black cloak on, and the hood pulled over my head to hide my face, there was something about the small grove that called me to take a nap, to let my energy build up again. And I wanted to. Oh, how I wanted to let myself I believe I was safe and sleep in that beautifully warm spot.

And then I heard footsteps coming from behind me. All thoughts of the warm little grove or a long nap fled my mind and instead I was more focused on the intruder coming my way. I could tell the stranger was attempting to be quiet, as if trying to stalk me like prey, but my hearing was too sensitive. Their steps were careful.

"I can hear you," I called out as confidently as I could, waiting for the invisible person to make their appearance. There was a momentary pause in the footsteps and then a wary laugh echoed through the forest. It was distinctly male, and strangely kind.

"I don't mean to scare you," the voice said. I turned around with a deep breath and came face to face with a young man with big brown eyes and light brown hair. He had a careful smile about him, as if he was afraid of scaring me away. "Are you lost?" I stared at him for a moment, unsure of why he was asking.

"Kind of," I admitted carefully, making sure he couldn't see my face under the hood. "But I can find my way." The boy's eyes squinted slightly at me, as if searching the shadows under my hood. And I returned the stare, taking in his unfamiliar face. He looked as though he had grown up working, his skin bronzed by the sun. I wondered what that would be like. Working in the sun for hours on end, every day. Hot, I decided, hot and sweaty.

"I'm sure you could," he replied with a smile. "But, allow me to be of service." I couldn't help but smile at the unfamiliar boy. If he had been Nero, the smile would have been cocky, and he would be telling me to come along instead of asking to assist me. I missed Nero already.

"It's fine," I promised quickly, backing away from him. "I don't need any-" I let out a small scream as I tumbled backwards, my hood falling off my head and a few strands of golden hair that had come loose from my bun fell into my face.