Chapter Four | New

Four months.

That's how long Nick had been stuck in that hellhole. How many nights he was forced to go inside of those walls and fend for his life by starting up generators and have narrow escapes from what he was sure was made by the devil himself.

But that didn't scare him. No, not anymore, at least. He got in, started a few generators, and got out with little injury inflicted upon him.

That let him focus on the bigger picture.

Why was he there? Who was the person that shoved him into this place? And most importantly, in his opinion, who were the subjects of the photos in that album?

Every single day, after getting a decent amount of sleep, Nick sat himself down in the small room that acted as a library and put the book down in his lap. It wasn't until almost the four-month mark did he finally realize that one of these people was the one that locked him in there. He assumed from that that all others were family or friends. But who was that person and why would they leave such a personal item in a place he would be locked in?

"Goddamnit," he muttered as he felt an impending headache start to form. It was the kind where he could feel it from the back of his head to his eyes. He had been staring at the book for far too long.

He took that as a sign to put the book down and actually get something to eat before heading back out. He slept almost twelve hours. The nights weren't hard, but they were tiring.

He could barely finish the sandwich he decided to throw together before having to grab his toolbox and run out at the sound of a loud alarm. It shut off as soon as he stepped outside.

The walk to the gated area was always unnerving. He never knew where he was going. He followed the path, which seemed to be in a new direction every day. But it always led to an open gate door like the one he walked through in that moment.

The chime of a bell signaled his enemy for the night.

He walked forward.

He stopped when he heard a voice. He never heard a voice.

"Hello?" A panicked voice rang out. Its owner repeated the word a few times before stopping close enough so he could spot long, dark red hair.

How?

"Hell-" Nick cut them off with a sharp "shut up". The girl whipped around, wide, aquamarine eyes meeting his. He held a finger to his lips as he heard a faint heartbeat. It wasn't either of theirs.

"Wraith."