☠️5☠️

The sidewalk in front of the bar was covered with bouquets and cards. Even a few crosses were sitting in the midst of rainbow flags. I figured not everyone who left something had to know Uncle Greg. Maybe they just left it for the sentiment; a guy had been killed in their city.

The bar door swung open and a figure emerged. I gunned the gas, speeding off before they could see my face.

☠️

He was there again. This time, he was standing outside his car, holding a big ass poster, facing the house. After pulling in the driveway, I looked in the rearview mirror and read the backwards message: HATE KILLS.

Of course, he started running up to me when I got out of the car and headed for the door. As he moved the sign from in front of his chest, I could finally read his tacky t-shirt: CLOSETS ARE FOR CLOTHES LIKE THIS, NOT THE PERSON WEARING IT.

It left me so speechless and dumbfounded, I couldn't even get myself to yell at him for being on my porch. I stared at his shirt for a long time, then looked at him and we met eyes.

“What do you want?”

“Your family to acknowledge what Greg sacrificed his life for.”

“Being a fag?”

He tilted his chin. “Yep. Being a proud ass fag. I'm sure he would say he had no regrets accepting himself as gay and living the life he deserved.”

The life he deserved, huh? If lying to us was wrong, but being gay is also wrong, what should he have done?

I looked down at the sign resting against his thigh. “Get off my property.” The only reason I didn't call the cops is because I didn't want another article about us. He knew that and was using it against me. I turned the doorknob and stepped inside.

Just as I closed the door, I heard his voice through the wood, “I'll be here until the funeral tomorrow.”

The fuck? Was this some sort of sit-in? Crazy bastard. He could sit there as long as he wanted. He wasn't getting anything from me.

☠️☠️☠️

Dear Will,

Sorry I haven't spoken to you in a while. I know you've been worried I'm just like everyone else. Honestly though, I still want to be friends. I think it's dumb to throw away what we had just because you're openly gay now. But if we are together where people can see, they'll think we are going steady. I know I'm an asshole. But I don't want people to think I'm gay too, because I'm not. Would you hate me if I said I want to be your secret friend?

Greg

Dear Will,

I heard Professor Kent is gay. Have you talked to him?

Greg

Dear Will,

There are rumors you and Professor Kent are dating. They're just rumors, right?

Greg

If you're going to be dating Kent, stay away from me.

Dear Will,

I'm sorry. I know it's been weeks. I was angry. Don't think I'm only sending you this letter because you and Professor Kent broke up. I didn't think he was a good guy and I guess I didn't know how to tell you. Just, be careful who you get close to.