Chapter 11 C.J.

In the Mess Hall, I filled my plate with eggs, sausage, and toast while casually looking around for Hunter. Catching a glimpse of Grayson with only his fury radiating off him for company and no Hunter in sight. From everything Hunter had wrote about him they were pretty much joined at the hip and the way he was acting around Hunter last night, I doubt her not being there was by his choice. I was starting to worry.

Stomach growling, I looked around for an empty table. Eat then go look for Hunter, I could not allow my body to go hungry for long without consequences. If there was a problem they would have come got me. I saw Mr. Thomas a few minutes ago looking tired but otherwise fine. The back corner table was empty; I headed towards it for a quiet and quick breakfast.

"Hi. I'm Alice," a cute blonde stepped in front of me, "You must be C.J. I heard you have never been here before."

"Ah yeah. It's my first time," I said taking a step to the side and walked around her.

Falling in step beside me with her own tray of food she followed as I walked to the empty table. "So why? Why did you come? Not that I am complaining, we need some new faces here."

Sitting down, Alice followed suit and sat beside me. "My best friend has been coming here for years and I wanted to surprise her. It's been awhile since we had seen each other." Not really interested in this conversation and all my thoughts kept going back to Hunter. I started to eat and hope Alice would get the hint that I didn't want to talk.

She didn't. "Oh yeah. Who's your best friend? I probably know him," she asked as she pushed the food around on her plate with the look of disgust.

"Her, and her name is Hunter. She has been coming her since she was 8." That got her attention. Alice dropped her fork as her head shot up and stared at me. Taking in a deep breath I could smell the hate and jealousy but not the surprise she tried to pull off. "Do you know her? She the best. Absolutely amazing. I am lucky to have her as my friend." Yeah, I laid it on a bit thick. Not that I didn't feel that way, but by her response to hearing Hunter's name I couldn't resist. Something about this girl just rubbed me the wrong way. She had her own agenda.

"Of course you're friends with her," she said not even trying to hold back the sarcasm.

Turning my head, raising an eyebrow I asked, "Do you have a problem with Hunter?"

She opened her mouth to say something then shut it. I could practically see the wheels turning in her head. Finally after a minute she smiled and asked, "So have you met her side kick? Grayson. Those two do nothing without each other. I hope you get to spend time with her. Grayson is pretty...umm protective, I guess you could say, of her." Her acting skills needed some work.

Oh yeah she just went right for the jugular. But maybe...huh. "I met him last night. He seems like an ok guy. Hunter told me all about him, and he knows about me. So I don't think there will be a problem...But you do know him better than I do." I shrugged and went back to my food.

Alice was quiet for a moment and ate some of the food on her tray. "Well, I would hate to see you not get to spend time with Hunter, so if I can do anything to help I will," she said.

Gotcha. "Hmm. Like what?" I asked, thinking I might know exactly where she was going with this.

Keeping her attention on her food, trying to play shy, which I hardly doubt she was. "I can maybe spend some time with Grayson so you can be with Hunter. He is an ok guy, as you said, and I would hate for you to come here just to see her and not get to spend any time with her. I would hate to see a nice guy like you not enjoy your first summer here. What kind of person would I be if I let that happen?"

Yep, I was right. What kind of person, my butt. The jealousy came from Hunter's relationship with Grayson. With her generous offer would kill two birds with one stone. Getting time with Hunter and getting Grayson away from her. Concentrating on my food, not letting her know just how much her help would benefit. "I don't know Alice. As you said they are pretty close. I will have plenty time with her. I am not worried. What makes you think you could even do it anyways?" Ya I know it was harsh. "Don't get me wrong you are a pretty girl and all, but you're not Hunter, and Grayson is her other best friend." Ok that did it. I struggled to keep the smirk off my face. No one likes rejection but this girl thrived for the competition. She was a girl that was used to getting everything that she wanted.

Alice's face started to turn red as her anger crept up. "You know I really don't know why..." she stopped and took a big breath, "Don't worry about me. If you want time with her I can help," she shrugged after she regained her control, "If not I won't. It doesn't matter to me either way. I was just trying to help, but if you don't want it..." I had to give her some credit, she could control her anger.

I didn't need my excellent sense of smell to tell me she was lying through her teeth. The question was, did it have to do with her having a thing for Grayson or a grudge against Hunter? I would have to keep an eye on her but for now she would do. "Fine," I sighed dramatically. "I would appreciate your help." With that said, I stood with my empty plate and left the table letting her stew on her own. The funny thing was she thought she just played me but she was actually my pawn.