Chapter Five: A Monday in a Cafe

"Excuse me?"

Alex had walked towards me when he said that nasty comment, insinuating something I didn't like. He looked annoyed, and I couldn't believe he was judging me when he didn't even know me!

"Nothing," Alex replied, waving his hand as if waving away the issue.

"I didn't do anything, he needed help in math and I offered to tutor him. Not that I really need to explain anything to you."

Students shuffled past and within the minute Alex and I were left alone. I took notice of his t shirt and jeans, which I found odd today mostly because it was 65 degrees out.

"Aren't you cold?" He mumbled something then looked down at his clothes as if he didn't realize how he was dressed. He shrugged his shoulders.

I sighed. "Whatever." I turned on my heel to walk back down the stairs but he followed close behind, making me stop and turn.

His expression turned more serious, almost apologetically, and he took a step forward.

"Why are you friends with them?" His eyebrows formed a hard line and he narrowed his eyes at me, probing for an answer. I didn't like his tone at the word them.

"Who?" My arms folded themselves defensively. Who did he mean? Emily? Adrian? Jake? He sure seemed to think lowly of me just by seeing me with Jake. I think deep down I knew the answer, though.

He did just see me with Jake, and at first I worried about his impression of me. A part of me wanted to get to know him, and I didn't want him having bad impressions of me. At this moment, I felt like he already made his decision about who I was though, and it angered me. It angered me that neither of us had the nerve to just talk to each other. We were beating around the bush, and it was ridiculous. That's how misunderstandings happen.

"Just, them. You seem too good for them," he murmured softly, simultaneously softening my demeanor. My arms went back down to the sides. Although he still didn't specify who "them" was. Maybe he hadn't totally made up his mind about me just yet. 

"You don't know me." He nodded, but didn't say anything else. I thought about his concern, since he didn't really know me either.

"I have a gap between classes right now, and I know you're really good at chemistry, will you help me with a homework assignment?" His eyes lit up at the mention of chemistry (or was it at the prospect of helping me?) A smile flickered onto my face, the first genuine one I've had in a while, and he accepted.

We agreed to go to the sit-down cafe on campus, near to where we were. The coffee's not the best there, but it worked out because it meant more open tables and an overall more chill vibe. If we'd gone to Starbucks, for example, I think my level of anxiety would have skyrocketed through the roof, with trying to listen to Alex and all the people bustling around and...

"Just a coffee?" He asked, his hand casually in the air but with a slight hesitation, maybe more like a nervous air surrounding us.

"Actually, a chai latte, if you don't mind," I added, matching his hesitation. His eyes lingered on mine, pondering my request, then nodded and turned back towards the bored barista. She seemed eager to help him though, and I wondered if it was because there hadn't been any customers, or because she liked him. Or maybe she knew him. She wore a pin with a cartoon that I recognized from a sticker on his laptop. They laughed about something as he handed her a ten dollar bill. Meanwhile I set our stuff at a table and pretended to open my laptop and look occupied. Looking busy was my preferred method for when I don't want to look like a loner. Phone, laptop, journal, take your pic.