Serendipity - Chapter One

If someone had told Evie Erin she’d lose her job in just under twenty-four hours—she would think you’re crazy. A definite lunatic—as her mother would say. There was no way in hell she’d lose her dream job. She worked harder than anyone else she’d known, so the thought of losing her job was just downright madness. Literally. Evie—an independent twenty-two year old woman who never relied on anyone. Well, not unless you count on her younger years when she had to depend heavily on her parents to feed and nurture her. But that wasn’t the point here, was it?

 But here she was, sitting in her car. Alone, miserable and cold as she’d sat for hours. Without the damn heater on. She couldn’t even turn it on even if she wanted to. The bloody thing was broken. Evie suddenly had the urge to beat her arms down on the steering wheel. To get the hollow, and pain out she felt in her chest. But she would come across as pathetic if anyone saw her—that sure was the last thing she needed.

Evie Erin—beating down on her steering wheel after losing her dream job. Not only has it sounded pathetic but also poignant.

Evie’s insides clenched. She didn’t need another reason for everyone in her town to talk about her. Losing her job was more than enough, thank you very much.  Tired and worn out she started her car, pulling out of the driveway of the work place she used to look forward going to every morning.

On the way home, Evie’s phone rang. Luckily she had her ear piece in her ear just before she pulled out of the car park. She pressed the answer button and her best friend’s voice came in. Evie wasn’t surprised—Madison Cadence was always bright and cheerful. Evie had to wonder sometimes whether it was the chocolates and sweets that she get from her loving husband all the time or perhaps she was excited just because she wanted to.  

“Hello?” Evie said, willing her voice not to wobble.

A loud shriek pierced through the other end of the line, indicating that Maddie was very excited indeed. There must be something up. “Evie?! Oh my gosh, you would not believe what I’ve just found out!”

The start of a smile crept onto her lips, her best friend had a way of getting her worked-up too. “What did you found out this time, Maddie?”

I found out that I’M PREGNANT!”

“Oh, congratulations!” Evie blurted out. Shock and surprised covered her face as she rounded a corner. Thank goodness she was still able to function after Maddie dropped the bomb. A goofy grin broke free from her lips as she stopped at a supermarket’s parking lot. If she didn’t—goodness only know what would happen if she didn’t pull over.

She focused all her attention on the loud voice going on the other end of the line like a siren.

“When did you found out?” Evie asked, feeling the excitement get to her bones.

“This morning. I calculated the last time I had my period and I thought I should have had it last week but I was late so I thought it would be safe to go and visit a doctor. So I booked an appointment and tada—I’m pregnant!” Maddie said. No doubt she was so happy and pretty pumped up finding out about the baby.

“I’m really happy for you, Maddie. And say all my love and wishes for you and William” Evie said, smiling; her own problem forgotten. William Cadence was Maddie’s boyfriend since they were in high school. They even went to the same university; then got married after years later. Her own best friend had earned her own happy-ever after at last. Whilst she stayed workaholic and made sure she was on top of everything. Disappointment and failure was never in Evie’s vocabulary. Maddie—her best friend liked to think she was still hung-up on her brother’s best friend whom she hadn’t seen in five years.

After a few more gushing about the news and loud squeals they finally hung-up and Evie was left alone in her car once again. Sitting on the leathered-seat, dumb-founded. She was going to be an Auntie again. She had nieces of her own—thanks to her older brother and sister-in-law—but she wasn’t complaining. Evie always had a soft spot for children.

She realized that she was still parked in a supermarket—and thought better of it. She might as well do her grocery shopping while she was here considering that she didn’t have anything much in her fridge. Better load it up again, Evie thought.

She turned the engine off and got out. The cold, freezing wind brushed her wild, brunette hair away from her face—the cold seeped into Evie’s skin. It left a set of goose bumps down her arm. She quickly did some shopping, not wanting to stay any longer because fatigue was starting to creep into her and she still had to make dinner. After half an hour, she’d paid and was out the door and on the road. Evie sighed in relief when she saw her house come into view. Home sweet home.

She couldn’t think of anything better to do than make her own dinner then go to bed. Perhaps, she could watch an episode or two of America’s Next Top Model with a flute of wine. She settled her Volkswagen in gear and got her shopping out of the car. Jobless, she guessed she could spend her Friday tomorrow lazing around in bed. Wearing nothing but her panties and an old T-shirt. Along with a company of more wine, or perhaps champagne—although she had nothing to celebrate—and a tub of chocolate ice cream in hand. Smiling to herself madly, she stepped into her porch and frowned.

There was something odd about the house. Call her a psychic or Simon Baker but she could sense that someone had been in her house. And may still be inside. Heart pounding, she gripped her grocery bags to her chest and put the key through the hole. She was scared—hell, she was petrified! What if there was a burglar in her home and for all she knew, he might kill her. She was too young to die. She’d spent her twenty-two years of life working and fun hadn’t been in those twenty-years of life she had. She abruptly felt like one of those people from CSI which was a silly thought considering that her life was at stake here.

The door opened and she immediately stepped inside. Careful not to make any noise, she set the groceries down on the counter and went to her room. It was dark and no light was turned on—it was the same as she’d left it this morning. Evie checked her things—jewelleries’, money she kept for emergencies, and her clothes. Her stuff was untouched. Then how come she sensed a weird feeling the moment she stepped inside? Or was it maybe she was just tired and being paranoid? After all, she lost her job under twenty-four hours and hadn’t recovered.

Nothing was touched. She fell on the bed, the covers dipping under her weight. Evie pressed her open palm into her eyes and said to herself, “You’re freaking out for nothing, Evie. Pull yourself together and start making dinner so you can go to bed”

Right. Her purpose for tonight. Make dinner. Some wine. America’s Next Top Model.

She was about to get up when she heard knocking on her door. Frowning, and still a little jumpy she stood up and went to answer the door.

She was prepared for anything the moment she opened the door. She was expecting some psycho dude with a long moustache from the Saw movies or even perhaps a burglar demanding to rob her poor. A kidnapper. Evie would rather have a kidnapper in her front steps so that she could be nowhere in sight but here. Hell, she would rather prefer to be in an abandon house begging for mercy than see her brother’s best friend.

Life was full of surprises sometimes. And Evie was daft enough to play along.

But one thing she knew the most was that she was not prepared to see Corbin looking all sexy in a suit and tie in her doorstep. 

Comment and vote. Unedited. 

Instagram: @blue.nhica

Twitter: nhica0117