Part Twenty Two - Providence

Chapter Twenty Two

Less than an hour later, Julia was entering her room, a door adjacent to the one that Aaron was entering. She'd half expected there to be an 'issue', then having to share a room. Then she felt awful for being so judgemental. He was nothing but a gentleman. The hotel was midrange, nothing special and she had a view of a car park, but they had booked last minute.

He was giving her an hour to 'do what you need to', then they were heading out. Dinner, he'd said. And suddenly she was starving. She'd showered that morning, but still felt a little stale, so she slipped under a warm powerful spray for a few minutes, then tuned into some satellite radio whilst she pulled on a summer dress and blew dry her hair. All in all, she needed thirty five minutes before she was knocking his door.

The door opened in a few seconds, and Aaron stood there, in just a pair of shorts, his chest bare, and his hair damp. Suddenly she regretted being so organised, so early. Nodding with his head, he offered her into the room, and it was then she noticed the phone that he held to his ear.

"Business crisis," he mouthed. Then crossed to the window.

She stood around awkwardly, feeling like she was really intruding, then abruptly, he ended the call.

"Sorry, seems that basic things can't be done if I'm not watching everyone closely." He shook his head, and then snapped, "imbeciles."

"Do you need to go back?" She'd never seen him so angry.

But he just took a few deep breaths, "no. It's sorted. Just kills me that people need spoon feeding. Honestly. It's fine. You look amazing by the way."

She was tempted to answer, but his chest, his smell...even his anger was making her weak kneed. She watched as he pulled a t-shirt from his bag, she'd been surprised to see him in jeans, but shorts, and he flip flops he slid his feet into...she had to avert her eyes, and take a few deep breaths of her own.

"So, let me show you Providence!"

He announced it rather elaborately as they stepped out into the sun kissed street. It was warm, and would be for a long time. She giggled at his words and he nudged her with his elbow, indignantly.

"I'm serious. This place...it's not a huge City, but I like it here."

She looked around, there were a few imposing buildings on the horizon, she could only imagine that they were government. But other than that it all seemed a little flat. When she voiced that he grinned.

"That was my first impression to...ah, here it is. Our taxi."

Taking her arm he led her to the car and shuffled into the back seat beside her.

"Federal Hill, please. Attwell's Avenue." When he turned to her, his eyes were twinkling. "This is the jewel in the Rhode Island crown."

That comment took her by surprise, but she was enthralled by the view as she looked out at the streets as the cab cut through the city.

It stopped on a street that had an arch way across it. Hanging from that was...

"Is that a pineapple or a pine cone?"

At her question, he looked up at the arch, "no idea. But it's cool."

Nodding, she followed him down the street. And what a street, virtually every building was a bar, restaurant or delicious looking deli. Her eyes were wide as they passed a cheese shop, a few Italian restaurants and a couple of classically American bars.