Ch.44: Just By a Hair

A/N: 1)Sorry for the long wait for new chapters, Starlights2) On another note, I am thinking about writing a new Neo fanfic but can't decide which song to based  it on So, 'Beautiful Liar' or 'Blackout'? Comment what you think.  =)                  

Taekwoon

~outside of the palace~

"You sure that we shouldn't bring backup. I mean we do not know what will be waiting for us when we get there," asked Wonshik.

"He could have some moles inside the palace and plus people will start to ask questions if we mobilized the Royal Army," I said while tightening the laces of my shoes.

"If you say so, hyung." 

*gust of wind*

 I looked up quickly and shoved Wonshik behind me in case it was an enemy that appeared to stop us before we even did anything. But, it was only Mark, one of Hakyeon's personal guards. 

"Evening, gentlemen," he says in a low voice.

"Good evening. May I ask why you are here," I asked.

"Ha- the Queen asked me to go with you on this mission of yours because and I quote, 'Taekwoon would only take one person with him.' And look at what we have here," he states with a blank stare.

"Why would he do that," asked Wonshik.

Ignoring what Wonshik was asking, I started to say that there was no need for him to come along. Mark shakes his head and says," The Queen was quite serious when he ordered me to come to your aid."

"Mark-ssi..."

"No."

I sighed and just accepted that Mark was not going to change his mind nor disobey what his queen ordered him to do. "Fine, let's get this show on the road," I mumbled.

~outside of the Eun household/estate~

"Wah, I have never been so close to this estate before. It looks worse than what the books said," Wonshik says after whistling. What he said was not untrue. The buildings were scorched and parts of the walls crumbled.

"Well let's see if we can find someone or something," I said out loud. Mark who was on my left just before was now nowhere to be seen. I straightened up and looked around to see where the personal guard went, but couldn't find him. "Where did he go," I whispered to Wonshik.

"To  check out the situation inside the estate obviously," Wonshik replies with a scoff.

*small gust of wind*

"The coast is clear," says a voice from behind me.

"Don't just appear and disappear like that," I hissed.

"Since we should not walk in through the front door, I found a way in that should take us to the heart of the estate," he states, and then beckons us to follow him. We slipped around the front of the estate and found an opening hidden by some brush. After we went in, we ended up in a secret passage way which probably was an escape route.  Drawing our weapons, we preceded with caution as there could be traps set up.

~a few minutes later~

"Mark, you take that building to the right and Wonshik, you take this one. I will go to that one over there," I whispered. Both of them nodded and melted into the darkness. I took a deep breath before sneaking into said building. Pushing out a window, I drop in landing on all fours lightly and closed the window quickly without making a sound. As I made my way through each room, I did not manage to find anything useful. At the end of the hall, I could have sworn that I saw candle light being extinguished.  I sprinted to the room, and threw open the door just in time to see a man jumping out the window. "Oh no, you don't," I growled and ran after him. 

*running on a tile roof*

He laughs, and turns around to smirk at me before he literally rippled like water when a rock is dropped in it and disappeared. In his place, there was a slip of paper that read:

"Nice try but not good enough, sweet cheeks. ~J"