Chapter 21

ONE YEAR LATER

365 Days have passed.

365 Days of experiences.

365 Days of love.

365 Days of family.

And so much had happened.

Sophia has made a lot of progress. I have enrolled her in pre-school and she has made a lot of new friends there and got along with everyone it seemed.

Although she started Pre-School late she was on the same level as the others. So chances were well that she could start First Grade with all the others- I also did quite a bit with her at home if she felt like. I gave her Papers with a letter which she could imitate and before bed I always read her a book.

Some of her new friends even came home to us and then they had a play-date. Something I rarely had as a child. I had to remodel my backyard a bit for her. I build a fence around the pool and build a swing on one of the trees, ensuring that it won't fall off if anyone is swinging on it.

In the same steps I also baby proofed my house a bit more with a step blocker for upstairs, so if she woke up in the middle of the night she wouldn't try to walk down and then fall down. In the kitchen I bought a barrier for the stove, so she couldn't touch it and burn her head if it might have been on earlier.

After three months of Sessions, Sophia successfully ended Therapy and she had changed a lot. She was more talkative with me. Wasn't as shy and she tried new things, she was always cautious but like every kid should see more and more did the things without thinking what could I say if she does it wrong. She didn't say "I'm sorry." that much after I explained to her what I'm sorry exactly means and when to use it. I also decided to take on a couple of sessions with the therapist because I couldn't seem to let go of my fears and I needed to if I wanted to be the best possible father I wanted to be.

In early January the letter of DCSF arrived. It was in the early morning hours after shift and all I wanted was to go to bed and get some sleep before Sophia would get up. But my eyes fell upon the envelope with the DCSF logo on the top left corner and I had to open it. Sleep came only second. My future is depending on that letter.

"After carefully re-visiting the home of Mr. Connor Rhodes and a small interview with Mr. Rhodes, Misses Sophia Granger and Mr. Will Halstead, the decision of long-term custody was made in favor of Mr. Connor Rhodes. Please note, that visits from the DCSF are still possible and can be unannounced to see the Childs wellbeing." Yes! I wanted to hug Sophia but I couldn't. She was already asleep. But I got to keep her. I checked on her and then went to bed. I had the best night sleep in a while and the stress was finally falling off my shoulders.