Chapter 3

The drive to Lakeford was rough. There gears made a whining growl every time Amelia changed them which caused a new wave of fear to wash over her because she thought it would attract more monsters. She needed to figure out a better name for them. Monsters just didn't have a good ring to it.

Amelia took back roads and tried to stay away from populated areas as she made the trip to Jo's house. This method seemed to work as she only saw two of the monsters but they were far away from her, off wandering aimlessly in fields to the side of her. 

She reached the outskirts of Lakeford, where Jo lived with her parents and little brother. Amelia pulled into the driveway, but left the keys in the ignition in case she needed to make a quick getaway. She removed the machete from the holster that was strapped to her thigh and held it in her right hand so she was prepared but could also open the door to the house. 

"Please don't be dead, please don't be dead." She repeated to herself in a hushed tone as she stepped closer and closer to the door. Using her free hand, she turned the knob and slowly pushed the door open, taking a step backwards, prepared for an attack. With no signs of immediate danger, she hesitantly stepped inside, machete raised. A bead of sweat followed the contours of her face until it dipped off her jawline, her breathing heavy, causing her lips to part. The hairs on the back off her neck stood on end and her heart plummeted as she heard the familiar low growl of a monster. There was one here.

The danger was real, but so was Amelia's determination and stubbornness. She refused to give up on her friend. She continued, deeper into the house, until she found the source of the growl. It was coming from the living room, however her ears picked up another noise. A quiet whimpering coming from upstairs. The monster had obviously not heard it or tried to climb the stairs. Now a decision had to be made. Risk her life and take out the monster then rescue the people, or rescue the people and try to sneak them out without encountering the monster.

She deliberated on this for a moment, then proceeded into the living room. Cowardice just wasn't really her style. She tip-toed in but the monster was facing the door and instantly hopped towards her. It was missing it's left leg, God knows how that happened. Amelia used her left hand the push herself upwards and jumped over the sofa between her and the monster, her right foot extended in front of her which then planted itself square in the middle of it's chest, causing it to tumble to the ground and land on it's back. It scarped it's hands at her coat but couldn't find anything to rip quick enough to stop Amelia from pressing the edge of her blade to it's throat and pushing down with all her weight, causing the head to detach and roll away from the body. A puddle of blood quickly formed, staining the carpet, but that was of no importance to her.

Pulling herself up and off the now decapitated body, she examined her surroundings for anymore danger before heading upstairs, to find the source of the whimpering. Taking a right at the top of the stairs, following the noise, she discovered Jo and her family clutching each other on the floor.

"Are you guys just going to sit there or should we get the hell out of here?" Amelia said with a cocky grin on her face.

"Amy?" Jo said, stunned. Amelia wiped the blood off of her machete on a nearby towel, discarded on the floor, placed it back in the holster and walked over to the group, offering her hand out to help any of them that needed it to stand up.

"How are you here?" Jo asked, still visibly shocked.

"Boy, do I have a story for you, but not right now. God it's good to see you." She embraced Jo in a tight hug but she quickly pulled away because she felt the tears resurface. 

"Like I said, we should get the hell out of here."

"Yeah good plan"

"Is everyone ok? Did the monster get to any of you?"Amelia asked glancing over at the rest of the people in the room.

"Yeah everyone is fine." Rob, Jo's dad replied, still clutching her mum, Jane and brother, Mike.

"Well lets go then." They all cautiously walked downstairs, Amelia in front of the group, machete out again and made sure the house was clear.

"I need you to collect any sort of supplies you can, food, weapons, clothing, things like that. Rob, I know you have a portable generator, I'll go with you and we can get that. The rest of you, stay together and collect as much of that stuff as you can then meet back in the kitchen in five minutes. Okay?"

"Okay" they all replied back in unison. Amelia and Rob headed out into the shed in the garden and found the generator and lifted it back to the Land Rover. 

"So I've got to ask, Amelia, why are you here and why is it just you?"

"I'm here because I saw what was happening to world and I couldn't stand to think that what was happening out there would happen to Jo. To any of you for that matter." They closed the door to the Land Rover and walked back towards the kitchen.

"But why is it just you?" Amelia looked over to see the other three stood waiting and stopped. They all stared at her, their faces asking if something was wrong.

"I'm here alone because..." She clenched her jaw and swallowed her emotions like she had done countless times today and looked Rob right in the eye and said "Because my family are dead. They're all dead." Amelia took advantage of their shock and scooped up a pile of clothes on the floor into her arms and walked back outside to load their car with it. After a few seconds they silently followed her out and did the same.

"I need you to go back to my house. Get inside, close the doors and make yourselves at home. Mind the bodies though."

"You're not coming with us?" Jo questioned.

"I didn't just come here for you. I've got to get Sam and Ruth. I won't leave them." Jo hesitated for a second and glanced at her family. Amelia already knew what she was thinking.

"Well neither will I. I'm coming with you."