chapter nine; head first

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"WE KILL IT." Summer couldn't believe the words that had fallen from her friend's mouth, the intent and determination in his eyes proving that he wasn't joking even in the slightest.

They needed a plan to capture this thing that had been haunting Hawkins and get rid of it, she knew that but killing it? Summer wasn't sure that they were prepared for something like that. Not when this creature seemed so otherworldly.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Summer whispers, not wanting to attract any attention from the rest of the funeral-goers.

The trio were huddled behind a fence where they had taken refuge the second the funeral had ended. Had the circumstances been different, they would've been mourning and grieving like everyone else, but they knew better than to believe that whatever was inside that coffin was Will.

For those that knew the truth, it was a lot harder to endure. Having to forcefully put on a sad face and act like someone out there wasn't trying to manipulate them into believing Will was gone. Instead, they were fuelled with anger, and the desire to find answers.

Jonathan nods, "I'm getting my brother back."

The three of them decided then and there that if they were really going to do this they needed to come up with a detailed plan. Jonathan suggested that they just go looking for the faceless creature and that perhaps bombarding it would probably scare it enough to make it vulnerable. Giving them the perfect opportunity to attack, and while Summer was a little sceptical about the plan, she decided to go along with it.

Though, when doing so, she didn't expect to then follow Jonathan to the parking lot to see him break into his father's car and pull a handgun from the glove compartment. Her jaw fell slack as she realised the volume of how serious what they were about to do was, and Nancy matched her panicked expression.

"What are you doing?" Summer retorts, bemused by her friend's actions.

"What? You want to find this thing and take another photo? Yell at it?" He hides a box of bullets in his coat pocket and steps out of the car as if he hadn't just pulled out a gun.

Nancy takes a step back, shaking her head and raises her hands up as though to surrender, "This is a terrible idea."

Jonathan looks between the two girls, seeing that they were both clearly feeling apprehensive about the whole ordeal, but tries his best to convince them that they were going to need it, "Well, it's the best we've got. Look, you can tell someone about all of this but they're not going to believe you. You know that."

"Your mom would. She deserves to know." Nancy argues, knowing she was right. And as much as Summer hated to admit it, she actually agreed with Nancy for once.

Joyce deserved to know that she was right about everything. That the creature she saw wasn't just a figment of her imagination. That she wasn't losing her mind, but most importantly, that her son was still out there trying to contact her.