CHAPTER 4

~ CHAPTER 4 ~

I found myself with Lily riding the cab to my old town. The town that I wanted to avoid so much.

The town where I grew up with my family and the town where I lost most of my family.

The town where I lost Kyle.

The town where everything was perfect, once.

And right now I'm driving to that town to attend a party. A party of my bully's boyfriend who happens to be, or used to be my best friend. My first love. What am I doing with my life?!

We finally arrived at the park and saw just a few people already dancing and having fun. Lily paid the cab driver and we stepped out.

"Lil, I don't think this is a good idea." I said, taking a step back.

She looked back at me. "Em, come on! See it as an opportunity."

"Of what?"

"Him remembering you."

"But..." before I could complete my sentence she grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the park.

When we made it to the party, she started to look around anxiously.

"What?" I asked her.

"I....uhhh...need to poop!" she said out loud that some guys looked towards us. "I have to go." she said before running off the hill.

"Lily!"

"I'll be right back!" then she disappeared into the darkness.

I sigh and looked around. I can already sense that something's off. First, Nicole and Mitch could not be found. Second of all, I don't know any of these people. And lastly, I'm the only girl in this party.

I suddenly feel like the ground is slowly eating me alive as everyone's eyes are on me. Judging me. I looked down and started to walk away when I turned around and bumped on someone.

"Oh, I'm sorry..."

"You're a girl."

I looked up to see a guy looking down at me. He raised his eyebrows. "I don't remember inviting girls. This is an all guys party."

"Uhhh..."

I scanned my mind to say something and it ended up with us standing there for about a minute or two.

"Oh here you are! We were lo...Emery?"

I looked behind the guy to spot Kyle's surprised look. Well, he was not expecting me at all.

Great, I have been played. This is embarrassing. 

"You know her K?" the guy asks Kyle and he nodded. "Yeah." Kyle said.

"Oh cool, I thought some stranger's trying to crash my party." the guy said. The guy turned to look at me, "You can stay girly. Sorry to call you out like that. Any friend's of Kyle is a friend of ours." with that said, the guy left.

Now this is awkward.

"Err...there's a beach here, right?" I asked Kyle.

He nodded slowly still looking at me surprised. "Yeah, over there." he said pointing to his right.

I nodded and said my thanks before running off.

An hour had passed and Lily is still not back. I'm starting to think that she ditched me. Like she always does.

I took a deep breath and looked around the beach. I spotted a surf board rack just right beside a store. I stood up and made my way there.

The sign says Get one and return one.

Might as well take these thoughts off my mind. I grabbed one huge blue surf board and started to rub the wax on it. Then I walked to the store to pick some swimwear. I put them on right after I paid for them. Then I grabbed the board as I dropped my clothes on the sand before I jumped into the ocean to catch some waves.

I have missed this. Surfing at night. Or even surfing at all. I surfed 3 times then I got tired and decided to just sit on the board and float out here for a while.

I took a deep breath as I looked up to the night-sky.

"The sky's a great big jewelry box, isn't it?"

I gasped and looked behind me and saw Kyle sitting on his board. He floats towards me as we sit there next to each other.

I let the silence take over as I looked out the dark horizon. I liked being out here on the water at night. It makes me feel like I am the only person in the world and that I don't have to worry about life. The waves and the sound of the ocean calms me. The stars above me makes me want to shine as bright as them.

This is home.

The ocean. The night sky. Me and Kyle on a surf board at night, just the two of us. Like it should always be. 

I am home.

I looked up to the sky, taking it all in as I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

"I knew I could find you out here."

I opened my eyes and looked at him. The moonlight illuminated some of his features. His nose, his jawline, and his body. He surely gained some abs. His body is full of tattoos except for one spot. I let my eyes linger at that spot.

"It's for someone special." he said.

I looked up at him and met his eyes. They looked like two shimmering crystals due to the moonlight. They are beautiful. They have always been.

"How do you know I'm out here?" I softly asked.

He balanced himself as he laid down on his board with his hands behind his head. Then he closed his eyes.

"This is where you go when you feel overwhelmed. This is your favorite spot in the whole wide world."

I looked at him with my mouth slightly open. "How do you...."

"Oh I know.....sweetie."

I sat there with the waves looking at him for about a minute or so.

Then he opened his eyes. He looked at me with a gaze of longing.

"I remember you. I have never forgotten about you Em."